Interested in working at Hudl? Awesome. Here’s what you need to know.
Our goal is to change the way coaches, athletes and analysts prepare for and stay ahead of the competition. Whether it’s with video, stats or a combination of the two, we want our tools to help every step of the way. That’s why we’re always hiring—we need the best because a product is only as good as the people behind it.
We're looking for a Sr. Product Design Manager to lead the design team responsible for working on Hudl’s Pro Suite of services and software (Hudl Sportscode, Wyscout, Hudl Replay and Hudl) for professional sports teams.
This is not a full time management position. Your time will be split into 3 main areas: 25% team management, 25% creative direction and strategy and 50% hands on design with a cross-functional squad working on Hudl Sportscode. The vision for this role is to evolve into a Director of Product Design for the Elite product team.
Hudl acquired Sportstec in 2015 and with it the product Sportscode (now referred to as Hudl Sportscode). Hudl Sportscode is a fully customizable performance analysis Mac application that professional sports teams use to evaluate themselves and their opponent to prepare for the next game. Have you ever wanted to work on a product that people use to do a majority of their job? For designers, that may be Figma, Photoshop or Sketch. For performance analysts on a professional sports team, that’s Hudl Sportscode. We have the opportunity to impact their work life by saving them time and making the mundane easier or automatic. We also have the opportunity to help teams find and capture the most important moments to change their team’s course.
Designing and creative-directing a product like Hudl Sportscode (think Final Cut Pro X on steroids) takes a deep understanding of Mac applications. As a qualified candidate, you have experience designing iOS or MacOS applications. You are a business-oriented design leader. You’ll balance a rigorous user-centric perspective with the ability to make bold decisions and move the product forward in a fast-paced development environment. You will foster cross-functional and cross product area collaboration and consistency by working closely with others to shape the vision and define the roadmap for our products. You will work to integrate user insights into the product strategy and design. You will always advocate for user experience, customer journeys and design excellence.
A large portion of the team working on Hudl Sportscode are based in Sydney, Australia. This person will be required to start their day early to have a couple hours of working overlap multiple times a week.
This role reports to the VP of Design.
Some things you’ll do:
- Manage a team of three designers (located in remote UK and Chiavari, Italy) by mentoring and creating growth opportunities for those on your team
- Partner with the Elite Director of Product and Director of Engineering to shape the vision, strategy and operations of the Elite product team
- Excel as a designer on a squad for 50% of your time thinking holistically about the Hudl Sportscode product and deeply about individual features and workflows
- Ensure we are building the right products for our customers and help teams take the best near-term steps toward their long-term vision
- Advocate for our customers and guide teams to deliver holistic, on-brand experiences by using our design system
- Lead regular design reviews, critiques and ideation sessions
- Facilitate continuous learning and improvement for the product design team and its members
- Recruit and hire outstanding design talent and facilitate onboarding of those new awesome designers
- Work with the Design Management Team to shape our teams’ culture, processes and tools
- Operate as a leader in our London office (when it’s safe to work in the office again) with cross functional partners, positively contributing to the culture and providing leadership
- On routine, travel to our other offices (Italy, Australia and Nebraska in the United States) when it is safe to travel
- Passionate for identifying and solving real business problems
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and cross functional environment with multiple stakeholders, working across multiple product areas
- Consistent track record of coaching and managing talented designers to achieve their best performance
- Experience mentoring other Product Design Managers and shaping team management practices
- You embrace and encourage diverse perspectives to inspire user experiences
- Experience designing, building and directing both the visual and interaction design of projects (web, mobile & native)
- You tell compelling stories about your designs and present your work with confidence
- Can consistently demonstrate an understanding of customer needs and set an example of delivering impactful experiences for customers
- Ability to communicate in a collaborative manner that builds trust with your partners and teams
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you have a big-picture view and can align teams to get there
- You have examples of times you have managed multiple high-profile projects and made significant business impact
- Brownie points: you have experience creating video and analytics services and products
- Extra brownie points: you have experience in the sports industry and/or designing Mac applications
- Treat you like an adult. We trust you to get work done and take a break when you need it. Use time off when you want and how you want.
- Take care of you. Our health insurance and retirement plans will let you and your family sleep soundly.
- Feed you. Hudl provides lunch once a week in our London office.
Diversity at Hudl
Hudl is an equal opportunity employer. We understand the power of diverse teams, celebrate differences and champion inclusion.