Interested in working at Hudl? Awesome. Here’s what you need to know.
Our goal is to change the way coaches, athletes and analysts prepare for and stay ahead of the competition. Whether it’s with video, stats or a combination of the two, we want our tools to help every step of the way. That’s why we’re always hiring—we need the best because a product is only as good as the people behind it.
What do Product Designers do at Hudl?
We make the above process as headache-free as possible. We lead small, cross-functional teams in creating and shipping clear, delightful user experiences. Here’s how we do it.
First, designers perform user research with coaches, athletes, and analysts of all sports to understand latent needs beyond just the basics of what they say they want. Designers learn why first-hand. There’s no requirements doc handed down from on high. Next, they rough out concepts to test with developers, QA, and their project manager. They sketch, they mock, and they prototype the key interactions. And often, they throw big pieces out when it doesn't click in a user study.
Once the concepts do start clicking, Product Designers start crafting the interface first (HTML & CSS for web products, Interface Builder for iOS, etc.). They team up with a developer to improve the code and get it wired into the back-end systems. Finally, they ensure the visuals are consistent throughout and match our brand styles.
But, designers don’t stop after the first release. They work closely with PM’s as we roll-out improvements so that we can refine it as the product gets real-world use. We can selectively enable new features to small groups of coaches and athletes to validate that we’re on the right track.
We also expect that you:
- Excel in giving and receiving respectfully blunt feedback and critique.
- Have strong beliefs, loosely held, about what’s best for the product.
- Understand that technical, business, and design constraints factor into every product decision.
- Know how and when to tactfully say, “No."
- Are unafraid shipping small, quick experiments to validate your assumptions and opinions.
- Think that great copy-writing is an essential part of creating clear user interfaces.
- Consciously choose the best medium and fidelity to convey your ideas at each stage of a project (not every project goes sketch, Photoshop, HTML).
- Can tell the story of a product or service with sharp copy and crisp imagery—people get fired up after your presentations.
- Treat you like an adult. We will trust you to get the work done and take a break when you need it. Use your unlimited vacation when and how you want, including extended parental leave for both moms and dads.
- Give you what you need. We will supply the environment and tools for success, allowing you to focus on professional growth and career development.
- Challenge you. We promise you'll be surrounded by people equally committed to the company's success.
Diversity at Hudl
Hudl is an equal opportunity employer. We understand the power of a diverse teams, celebrate differences and champion inclusion.