Interested in working at Hudl? Awesome. Here’s what you need to know.
Our goal is to change the way coaches, athletes and analysts prepare for and stay ahead of the competition. Whether it’s with video, stats or a combination of the two, we want our tools to help every step of the way. That’s why we’re always hiring, and we need the best because a product is only as good as the people behind it.
We're searching for a Design Manager to join us in building a video and data-driven platform for our global user base.
What do Design Managers do at Hudl?
Design Managers are not full-time managers—they work on the same types of problems as their direct reports in addition to managing, coaching, and mentoring groups of 2-3 designers.
Design Managers perform user research with coaches, athletes, and analysts of all sports to understand needs beyond the basics of what they say they want. They learn why first-hand and rough out concepts to test with developers, QA, and product managers. Designers sketch, mock, and prototype key interactions and often throw out work when it doesn't resonate with users.
Design Managers start crafting the interface first (HTML & CSS for web products, Interface Builder for iOS, etc.). They team up with a developer to improve the code, get it wired into the back-end systems, and ensure the visuals are consistent throughout while matching our brand styles. They work closely with Product Managers to roll-out improvements so that we can refine it as the product gets real-world use. We can selectively enable new features to small groups of coaches and athletes to validate that we’re on the right track.
Along with their individual contributor role, Design Managers help Design Directors and other Senior Design Managers recruit, hire, and foster design talent. They thrive on process and are eager to contribute to improvements that will impact the entire design chapter.
- Design product solutions 80% of the time and managing up to three designers 20% of the time. Design Managers are not full-time managers.
- Perform user research with Hudl’s customers, people like coaches, athletes, and analysts at all levels of sport.
- Sketch, mock and prototype solutions, then throw away what doesn’t work.
- Collaborate with Product Managers to roll out improvements based on feedback from real-world use.
- Help Design Directors and other Managers to recruit, hire, and foster design talent.
- Excel in giving and receiving respectfully blunt feedback and critique.
- Have strong beliefs, loosely held, about what’s best for the product.
- Look for trends across your reports and others’ reports to find ways to fix root problems instead of treating symptoms one-by-one.
- Closely scrutinize processes and organizational design with the goal of improving both continually over time to better support customers.
- Articulate your design strategy and solutions to stakeholders and cross-functional partners.
- Understand that technical, business, and design constraints factor into every product decision.
- Know how and when to tactfully say, “No."
- Well versed in, and opinionated about, visual and user experience design.
- Experienced in management and have been directly responsible for the performance of a team of designers.
- Experienced in an agile product environment and are able to work with product managers and engineers to ship a high impact product.
- Able to choose the best medium and fidelity to convey your ideas at each stage of a project (not every project goes paper sketches, Figma, HTML).
- Not afraid to ship small, quick experiments to validate or invalidate your assumptions and opinions.
- Equally as proud of your organization tools (docs, spreadsheets) as you are your best pieces of design work.
- Treat you like an adult. We will trust you to get the work done and take a break when you need it. Use your unlimited vacation when and how you want, including extended parental leave for both moms and dads.
- Give you what you need. We will supply the environment and tools for success, allowing you to focus on professional growth and career development.
- Challenge you. We promise you'll be surrounded by people equally committed to the company's success.
Diversity at Hudl
Hudl is an equal opportunity employer. We understand the power of diverse teams, celebrate differences and champion inclusion.