Howl is the creator platform for social commerce. We build tools for brands and creators to sell more products across every social platform, together.
In the last 10 years, the $20bn influencer ecommerce market has become a critical part of the retail industry. It has evolved into social commerce, a new $1.2 trillion market opportunity (link) requiring new tools, protocols, and technologies.
Howl enables creators and brands to run experiments on what products to talk about and how best to talk about them. Paired with data delivered at the speed of social, creator financing for products, and feedback loops delivered in a beautifully designed platform, Howl takes the guesswork out of selling products on social platforms.
Howl’s mission is to reduce barriers for creators and brands to build social commerce businesses. We are a remote-first company with a diverse team that reflects our vision. Our beta launched in mid 2022 and powers social commerce for creators and brands across beauty, gaming, home, fashion, and consumer electronics for both industry leaders like Best Buy, Samsung, Target and cult favorites like Cariuma, Kosas, and Youth to the People. We are a Series A company backed by investors including HighlandX and NEA.
For more information, visit www.planethowl.com.
About the Role
As a software engineer, you'll have a direct impact on the customer experience for creators and brands alike. You will work on building the core interaction our clients have with the Howl platform. These interactions include helping creators and brands discover each other, building tools that allow creators to monetize their social content and get paid on time, and optimize for a brand’s performance marketing campaigns, to name a few.
Are you passionate about scalability and disrupting the e-commerce space? Do you want to make significant contributions to its success? If you answered yes to these questions, then you should apply to join our team. This is a great opportunity for someone who can strategize and complete large scale projects and wants a sizable impact on the entire company. We’re looking for someone who is curious about building product-led initiatives while improving efficiency, performance and reliability of the application.
You’re Excited About This Opportunity Because You Will:
- Provide technical and design leadership within an engineering team.
- Master the code base, toolchain, and development processes.
- Work with product management partners to articulate requirements and agree on designs for components.
- Negotiate interfaces between your components and others in the Howl system.
- Design software components and subsystems for Howl's products or infrastructure.
- Implement high-quality software components and subsystems with your team.
- Document the architecture of your designs at the block diagram level.
- Write technical documents as needed to memorialize design and implementation decisions and rationales.
- May serve as tech lead (player-coach) of an implementation team.
- Drive implementation of automated testing for your components.
- Contribute to refinement and enrichment of development tools and processes.
- Participate in risk analysis and risk management exercises with engineering leadership.
We’re Excited About You Because You Bring:
- 6+ years of software development experience
- Familiarity with databases (e.g. MySQL, Snowflake).
- Experience with web frameworks at scale (e.g Next.js, GraphQL)
- Ability to instrument and debug distributed systems.
- Dedication to keep up with new developments in tech.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, motivation to achieve results in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Howl Tech Stack
One of the most frequent questions asked by candidates of Howl engineers is, “What is your tech stack?” This is a brief overview of our tech stack.
- Howl's systems are implemented as a modern microservices architecture running on Linux servers hosted in AWS. We use Kubernetes to manage our containers, we use Flask to construct our Web interfaces. We build interactivity in our web interfaces using React.
- We test each language with an appropriate unit testing tool - PyTest, Cypress, and Jasmine. We use Jenkins to run our builds and tests.
- Check-ins against the main branch require a code review by another SWE.
- We keep some data in Snowflake, some in Postgres and Elasticsearch and some, of course, in MySQL. We build our product graph using Neptune. We are working to reduce the number of databases we rely on.
- We stream data around using Kafka, and Storm. Maybe we will prune/update this list sometime.
- We are not hostile to commercial software - we use DBT, DataDog, Fivetran, Jira, LaunchDarkly, Looker, Notion.
The base salary range for this role is $190,000/yr - $230,000/yr USD.
At Howl, we offer a competitive compensation package inclusive of base salary, incentive pay and stock options. Incentive awards are allocated based on individual performance. Certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Howl is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.