Howl is the creator platform for social commerce. We build tools for brands and creators to sell more products across every social platform, together.
In the last 10 years, the $20bn influencer ecommerce market has become a critical part of the retail industry. Social commerce is a new $1.2 trillion market opportunity (link) and requires new tools, protocols, and technologies.
Howl allows creators and brands to run experiments on what products to talk about and how best to talk about them. Paired with data delivered at the speed of social, creator financing for products, and feedback loops delivered in a beautifully designed platform, Howl takes the guesswork out of selling products on social platforms.
Howl’s mission is to reduce barriers for creators and brands to build social commerce businesses. We are a remote-first company with a diverse team that reflects our vision. Our beta launched in mid 2022 and powers social commerce for creators and brands across beauty, gaming, home, fashion, and consumer electronics for both industry leaders like Best Buy, Samsung, Target and cult favorites like Cariuma, Kosas, and Youth to the People. We are a Series A company backed by investors including HighlandX and NEA.
For more information, visit www.planethowl.com.
What You Will Do
- Refine high-level designs
- Write technical documents as needed to memorialize design and implementation decisions and rationales
- Implement software components, following Howl's development processes
- Implement unit testing for your component
- Measure the performance of your component and improve as needed
- Pursue high quality in both construction and testing of software
- Collaborate with Product Management to measure product success
What You'll Bring to the Role
- A successful candidate will have several years of relevant experience in high-tech software development teams.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or software engineering -or-
- A bachelor’s degree in a STEM discipline plus substantial software engineering experience
Howl Tech Stack
One of the most frequent questions asked by candidates of Howl engineers is, “What is your tech stack?” This is a brief overview of our tech stack.
Howl's systems are implemented as a modern microservices architecture running on Linux servers hosted in AWS. We use Kubernetes to manage our containers, we use Flask to construct our Web interfaces. We build interactivity in our web interfaces using React. We use Linux, and in particular Debian, Ubuntu, and Alpine distros.
We test each language with an appropriate unit testing tool - JUnit, PyTest, ScalaTest, ExUnit, and Jasmine. We use Jenkins to run our builds and tests.
Check-ins against the main branch require a code review by another SWE.
We keep some data in Snowflake, some in Postgres, others in DynamoDB, and some, of course, in MySQL. We build our product graph using Neptune and Gremlin. We are working to reduce the number of databases we rely on.
We stream data around using Kafka, Spark, and Storm. Maybe we will prune this list sometime.
We are not hostile to commercial software - we use AirTable, DataDog, Fivetran, Jira, LaunchDarkly, Looker, Matomo, and StoryBook.
Important Notice: Howl is a fully remote organization!
Howl is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.