Howl is a creator platform for the customer centric and product obsessed. Creators of every size use Howl’s commerce and payments technology to get better rates and easy payments for their big ideas. Creators on Howl earn more when they open doors for others, and have the tools to turn their craft into a business.
We are a remote-first company with a diverse team that reflects our vision. Howl builds so millions more creators can bring their talent, magic, and service to shoppers around the world.
- Manage our AWS ecosystem, Kubernetes-based services, and datastores - we run Postgres, MySql, Redis, and Snowflake
- Build reliable systems and services at scale - we operate Kafka, Elasticsearch, Airflow as well as custom microservices
- Build developer tools and automation to help software engineers code, test, monitor, deploy, and manage their services
- Participate in on-call rotation duties
- Build a great experience for people using our infrastructure,
- Reliability, Maintainability, Stability, Security:
- Master the code base, toolchain, and development processes of a product team
- Provide support and work with development teams
- Evangelize best security and operational practices in the engineering organization
- Document the architecture of your work at the block diagram level
- May serve as tech lead (player-coach) of a team
- Understand cost/benefit and risk management for infrastructure components
- A successful candidate will have substantial relevant experience in high-tech software development teams,
- 3+ years of software development experience,
- 2+ years of Linux administration experience,
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code techniques and practices
- Experience with cloud providers and their services
- Ability diagnosing and debugging complex distributed systems
- Understanding of Linux internals, Docker, Kubernetes, networking, storage, and observability standards
- Experience configuring, administering, and operating relational databases
- Dedication to continuing professional development
- Strong communication and organizational skills, motivation to achieve results in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- A bachelor’s or better degree in computer science or software engineering -or-
- A bachelor’s or better degree in a STEM discipline plus substantial software engineering experience
Howl Tech Stack
One of the most frequent questions asked by candidates of Howl engineers is, “What is your tech stack?” This is a brief overview of our tech stack.
Howl's systems are implemented as a modern microservices architecture running on Linux servers hosted in AWS. We use Kubernetes to manage our containers, we use Flask to construct our Web interfaces. We build interactivity in our web interfaces using React. We use Linux, and in particular Debian, Ubuntu, and Alpine distros.
We test each language with an appropriate unit testing tool - JUnit, PyTest, ScalaTest, ExUnit, and Jasmine. We use Jenkins to run our builds and tests.
Check-ins against the main branch require a code review by another SWE.
We keep some data in Snowflake, some in Postgres, others in DynamoDB, and some, of course, in MySQL. We build our product graph using Neptune and Gremlin. We are working to reduce the number of databases we rely on.
We stream data around using Kafka, Spark, and Storm. Maybe we will prune this list sometime.
We are not hostile to commercial software - we use AirTable, DataDog, Fivetran, Jira, LaunchDarkly, Looker, Matomo, and StoryBook.
Important Notice: Howl is a fully remote organization!
Howl is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.