Who we are
We’re engineers, unifying employers and hourly workers to create an hourly-work space that works for everyone. This starts with recruiting and retaining employees. On the recruiting side, we help our customers re-engage the people they already know - past applicants and former employees - which is a critical need in this understaffed world and often translates to doubling their application flow. On the retention side, we uncover what matters most to our customers’ employees, automate check-ins and deliver actionable insights to improve their workplace. Simply said: We are employers’ people strategy in an understaffed world.
Our products are in high demand, we are growing quickly and driving towards becoming the Human Resources category leader for how companies improve an employee’s experience from initial job awareness through their employment journey.
We are transforming hourly work by restoring the ideals of the American Dream, rooted in affording everyone the opportunity to earn, find personal satisfaction and save. Our brand is proudly rooted in entrepreneurialism and our attributes are an acronym for ASPIRE: autonomy, smart work, pride, informative, relationships and equity.
The Vice President of Engineering & Product is an executive-level leader responsible for all aspects of product management, design and software development. This role provides vision and direction for the Product Development organization and oversees Engineering strategy and execution..
The Vice President, Engineering & Product will report directly to the CEO & co-founder and work collaboratively with many other members of the leadership team.
The responsibilities for this role will continue to evolve as the company grows; the initial key focuses will be:
- Hands-On Technical Leadership:
- Work closely alongside our engineering org to ensure timely and quality creation and shipping of code.
- You lead the architecting of our platform and product strategy.
- You will be responsible for both the back end and front end of our platform as well as the design.
- You will lead the creation and execution of conventions for code quality and development.
- Product Vision & Development: lead our product & technology initiatives with 2 key focuses:
- Vision Leadership: maintain a holistic view on what it takes to deliver a Complete Product Experience and effectively communicate this vision to company stakeholders at all levels.
- Product & Technology Roadmaps: collaborate with other senior leaders in data and product marketing to own the product roadmap and manage the product development cycle, implementing criteria for success with a focus on data-driven decisions and driving fast agile, high-quality releases.
- Product and Technology Strategy: Define and document the technology strategy necessary to accomplish the vision
- Team Development: manage a team with various experience levels & roles, ensuring:
- Employee Development: build, develop and manage a high-performing, cross-functional team; inspire team to deliver, execute and refine the product roadmap to meet HourWork’s evolving business goals.
- Team Scaling: actively participate in headcount planning and the recruiting process to build a successful product & engineering teams.
- Process Management: build a process centered on Agile principles that leverages the most effective tools for team collaboration.
- Successfully lead and scale effective Engineering & Product teams while defining the overall product vision & strategy and owning the product & technology roadmaps, to deliver product initiatives support business growth.
- You have 10+ years of experience in Engineering with 5+ years in a leadership position within a high-growth SaaS business.
- You have end to end experience building, shipping and maintaining products.
- You have experience leading Product, Engineering and Design teams at a company on the $5m-$20m journey.
- You have experience supporting a product development organization where the goal is for product, design, and engineering to work together on product teams as equal partners
- You've built end-to-end applications between the frontend, backend, and database layers
- You’ve built cloud-native applications on a major cloud platform (e.g. AWS) and embrace a continuous delivery mentality
- You have experience working with real-time data analysis systems, and bonus if experience with AI/ML
- Validate and manage technical roadmap
- Familiar with our tech stack: Java, Node.js, TypeScript, Python
- You love applying technology to solve real problems for customers and users
- Proven success setting product strategy
- Exceptional verbal, visual, and written communication skills with the ability to explain approach to all levels in the organization including key stakeholders
- Ability to think strategically and see the big picture and flex to drive the tactics needed to execute
- Experience managing a distributed team
- Has demonstrated a high level of achievement and success at an early-stage startup
- Desire to have a front-row seat at an early-stage, fast-growing company. There are not many layers of bureaucracy to work through. You will have a huge impact here.
- Strong desire to roll up your sleeves and do the dirty work
- Understanding that always doing the right thing for our customers is the priority - even if it means we have to push ourselves harder.
At HourWork, we have a transparent equity and salary policy because we take pride in ensuring all of our colleagues are compensated commensurate with experience. Our methodology is transparent and discussed during onboarding (and questions are always welcome).
- Unlimited Vacation (No, really. Please take your vacation.)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employer-paid Basic Life, Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability Insurances
- 401k & HSA available
Studies have shown that women, communities of color, and historically underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet all of the qualifications for the role. At HourWork, we recognize the value of diversity and inclusion and encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the listed qualifications.