Horace Mann Educators is the largest multiline insurance company in the U.S. focused on educators (K-12). The company offers annuities, auto, home and life insurance through an exclusive sales force of more than 800 distribution points and we are rapidly growing!
We are searching for a Senior Auditor to join our team who thrives in a collaborative environment and shares our commitment to providing valuable risk management, governance and control insight that supports our corporate responsibilities and shareholder commitment of serving our country’s educators.
The Senior Internal Auditor will have a thorough understanding of Internal Audit methodology, including factors related to annual Audit Program development. The Senior Internal Auditor will assist in the development of the annual financial, IT and third-party vendor risk assessment process, evaluate financial risks and controls, and have direct interaction with business owners across the organization.
This is a highly visible role in the organization with an opportunity to interact with all levels of management, including Senior Leadership.
Location: Madison WI, Addison TX, or Springfield IL
Additionally, this position includes:
- Demonstrating a strong sense of curiosity and willingness to get a deep understanding of the business and its processes, technologies, and risks to provide value and insights to the organization.
- Developing strong understanding of the business, industry practices, internal audit principles, and regulatory requirements.
- Developing productive business partner relationships for assigned areas through individual contact and group meetings.
- Executing audit processes to ensure that audit objectives are understood and met, key risks and controls are identified, testing is complete and documented in accordance with departmental standards and that reports are accurate, clear and concise.
- Assisting the Audit Manager in the development of audit engagement scoping, and taking a lead role throughout the audit lifecycle, providing insight in reviewing audit issues and identified root causes.
- Keeping up to date with auditing, accounting, regulatory or other developments that may impact the internal audit areas or assigned areas.
- Scheduling audits and allocating resources to accomplish the audit plan objectives.
- Bachelor's degree with concentration in accounting, finance or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of prior audit experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and an awareness of the National Association of Insurance Companies (NAIC) statutory reporting standards.
- Knowledge and experience with control design and evaluation for operational efficiency.
- Outstanding interpersonal oral and written communication skills.
- Possess at least one relevant professional designation (e.g., CPA, CIA, etc.). Industry recognized licenses and certifications are considered a plus (e.g., CPCU, LOMA, FINRA series, etc.).
Horace Mann was founded in 1945 by two Springfield, Illinois, teachers who saw a need for quality, affordable auto insurance for teachers. Since then, we’ve broadened our mission to helping all educators protect what they have today and prepare for a successful tomorrow. And with our broadened mission has come corporate growth: We serve more than 4,100 school districts nationwide, we’re publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: HMN) and we have more than $12 billion in assets.
We’re motivated by the fact that educators take care of our children’s future, and we believe they deserve someone to look after theirs. We help educators identify their financial goals and develop plans to achieve them. This includes insurance to protect what they have today and financial products to help them prepare for their future. Our tailored offerings include special rates and benefits for educators.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status
For applicants that are California residents, please review our California Consumer Privacy Notice