At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 35 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
The Hopper User Experience team is looking for a Director of UX to lead a team of Designers in building products that are simple, elegant, and delightful. This is a rare opportunity to scale and shape our User Experience team during a period of rapid growth. As a Director of UX you will lead Hopper’s mobile experience and coordinate with leadership across other teams. You’ll join our talented team and help shape not just our products, but our people and the way we design and build.
On a typical day, you’ll give feedback in design critiques, coach team members, make strategic decisions with your peers in Product, Data Science, and Engineering, and interview candidates to join our team.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Shape and communicate a compelling long-term design strategy and vision
- Own the design process for your team from problem definition to design implementation
- Partner with product, engineering, and data science to ensure projects are well-defined, high impact, and successfully executed
- Guide product designers working in agile development teams towards solutions that are unquestionably simple, intuitive, and just work
- Manage multiple project timelines and deliverables both at a leadership level and within the design team
- Drive a design culture of speed, iteration, and data-driven design thinking
- Contribute to strategic prioritization of what we work on, when and why
- Work closely with product leadership to ensure a cohesive user experience
- Manage, coach, and advocate for Product Designers and Product Design Managers
- Grow the design team by attracting and retaining new talent
- Help define our team and culture; bring new methodologies, perspectives, tools, best practices and social activities to change the way we work for the better
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- At least 5 years of experience leading or managing a design team
- A portfolio of relevant design work, executed either by yourself or a team that you led, that conveys an ability to ship successful products that people love
- Experience working in mobile and/or consumer product in a growth stage startup
- Experience and comfort working in an iterative, data-driven design environment
- A user-centered approach to designing software for people
- Experience working with engineers and product managers to drive strategy, vision, and execution
- Experience attracting and hiring design talent
- Comfortable juggling a wide range of responsibilities at the same time
- A collaborative, low-ego approach to working with others
Sound like a fit? We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options.
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business.
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans.
- Access to a 401k (Boston) or Retirement Savings Plan (Montreal).
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass.
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry.
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy).
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End.