At Hopin, we’re reimagining events. Our mission is simple: we exist to make the world feel closer.
Founded in 2019, Hopin brings brands and communities together around highly interactive and engaging experiences. We believe that people should have access to the conversations, moments and ideas they care most about, no matter where they are. Through our highly scalable platform, participants are able to learn, engage, and connect from anywhere in the world.
Hopin started as a virtual events solution but we have since meaningfully expanded our offering from virtual events to hybrid and in-person events, as well as video and workplace collaboration products. This growth has been fueled by a series of strategic acquisitions, including: Boomset - an all-in-one event management platform; Attendify - advancing Event Marketing products; StreamYard - unveiling a video production Studio; video hosting service Streamable and video technology company Jamm.
Listed as one of the 2021 Fast Company Best Workplaces for Innovators, Hopin has scaled to 800+ employees working remotely across 47 countries. Valued at $7.75B, Hopin raised a $450M Series D round of financing and is backed by top tier investors, including Arena Holdings, Altimeter Capital, Adam Street Partners, Untitled Investments, XN Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, General Catalyst, GIC, IVP, Northzone, Salesforce Ventures, Slack, Temasek and Tiger Global.
This role involves working on the App Platform at Hopin Events product. The App Platform team’s mission is to enable the creativity of organisers and developers by making it simple to customise and automate any part of the Hopin platform.
We are looking for a full time, highly-skilled Staff Backend Engineer, who is comfortable with distributed and high performance systems.You will be responsible for developing and designing a highly scalable API architecture, ensuring quality and performance of the application, working closely with the development team, running tests and debugging, among other duties.
- Architect, analyse, design, develop, troubleshoot, and debug API application for our customers
- Mentor and lead team members
- Ensuring applications can handle high volumes of load
- Delivering software build with reliability and tests from the get-go
- Meeting both technical and consumer needs
- Working with and potentially managing a small agile development team
- Delivering projects and KPIs on-time with high quality
- Design, development and implementation of projects and features
- Ensuring compliance with development methodology and technical process
- 6+ Years of experience in Back End technology
- 2+ Years of experience with Ruby
- Experience working with APIs that are used by large number of customers
- Experience with a distributed system platform: Kafka preferred, other pubsub systems accepted.
- Experience with PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience with test frameworks for both asynchronous jobs as well as APIs and websocket channels.
- Deployed customer-facing software into a product environment
- Solid experience working in an agile development environment
- Passion for clean and appropriately tested code
- Strong analytical and critical thinking
Nice to haves
- Experience working with building SDKs for external developers
- Experience with building documentation for external developers
- Experience with WebRTC, Live Streaming or other related video technologies
- Self-starter, able to deliver project on time meeting high quality standards
- Strong background in technology and application design
- Strong understanding of different software development practices, infrastructure, and how each can help shop more value to customers
- Good communication skills
- Competitive salary
- Fully remote, global team
- Flexible schedules
- Laptop assigned, Mac or Dell (Windows)
- Health Insurance Support
- Parental Leave
- Monthly Wi-Fi stipend
- $800 USD for Home-Office set up
- $1500 USD for Learning & Development
At Hopin, we're committed to cultivating an environment that promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. We are a global community and we believe our unique qualities must be celebrated as they are critical to our innovation. It's essential to us that you bring your authentic self to work every single day, no matter your age, ethnicity, religion, citizenship, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, neurodiversity, or otherwise. Inclusion isn't just an initiative at Hopin. We strive to embed it not just into our core values but throughout our entire ecosystem.