WHO WE ARE
Hook is a Creative Production Agency. With an emphasis on in-house and hands-on production, we develop world-class creative campaigns, content, and experiences for industry-leading brands such as: Google, YouTube, Nike, and NASA.
We understand that our work gets better, faster, when the people leading it are deeply involved in its craft and creation - So we build teams with individuals at all levels, and from all backgrounds, individuals who are driven to make as much as they can with their own hands.
And while the success of our work is critical, we believe what’s most important are the people who do it and the experience they have along the way. We want clients to think of us as the most trusted agency they’ve ever worked with, and we want everyone at Hook to feel this is the best job they’ve had yet.
WHAT’S A DESIGN DIRECTOR AT HOOK?
You are a delightful human who likes to do great work with great people. You care about your people as much as your work. You believe that every brand moment is an important brand moment, and you know how to inspire and guide people to make those moments exceptional. This is a unique opportunity to join a highly collaborative organization, continue to build an amazing culture, and make a real impact on individuals growth.
The daily challenges range from overseeing (and guaranteeing) tactical design executions to directly leading conceptual design for national and global brands/campaigns. With an existing design team in place, previous experience with team and project leadership within a rapid production environment will be a critical skill. Given the close proximity to marketing clients, being an excellent communicator and an overall joy-to-work-with will also go a long way toward success.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Demonstrate a breadth of experience in Visual and Interactive design
- Execute and manage original, persuasive, conceptual and visually compelling design work in line with agency and brand standards
- Maintain a high bar for quality and precision across all design work, providing candid feedback through a rigorous lens.
- Inspire, oversee, and provide mentorship to a growing cohort of 7+ multidisciplinary designers, with the goal of skill development in a culture of collaboration, experimentation and knowledge sharing.
- Fluently speak about design concepts with clients, as well as internal teams of creatives, engineers, producers and animators, to enable effective collaboration, feedback and direction.
- Maintain and promote an internal awareness of industry design trends and standards with a strong focus on processes and tools
- Cultivate a sense of ownership that elevates the standards and quality of all work achieved by the Designers
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Have a strong background, with 8+ years’ of high-profile design work.
- Have outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Be imaginative and full of ideas
- Be a natural teacher - empowered by mentoring teams and encouraging designers to approach problem solving differently, always with the goal of learning and growing.
- Ability to recognize and cultivate diverse perspectives
- Be non-judgmental and understanding of other people's feelings
- From concept to execution, bring an enthusiasm for solving design and marketing challenges throughout the life of a project, and amid stakeholder revisions.
- Have mastery of Photoshop, Illustrator and Sketch, as well as emerging interactive design trends (Knowledge of prototyping, Motion or 3d a plus)
- Have direct experience with (and and passion for) high-trust team leadership and mentorship.
Interested candidates will include a resume and a statement of interest that lets us learn a little more about you.
This is a full-time position based in the United States overseeing our Michigan design staff. We're a close-knit group of people who love the internet and want to create phenomenal work. Company benefits include health, dental, matching 401k, paid vacation and holidays, and more.
At Hook we value what makes everyone different, we look for the best talent no matter the background. We know that great work requires diverse perspectives which is why we strive to create a place of belonging where everyone can express who they are. Come join us!