HoneyBook is the leading business and financial management platform for independent small business service providers and freelancers. By combining tools like billing, contracts and client communication, HoneyBook helps business owners get organized so they can provide top-tier service at every step. Every day at HoneyBook we are on a mission to empower the Independent business owner economy to rise together, doing what they love.
HoneyBook is trusted by service providers across the U.S. and Canada who have booked more than $3B in business on its platform. Our award-winning culture is built on core values that drive everything we do, including putting people first.
We know experience comes in many different forms, some visible on your resume, others not. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you thrive in a fast-paced, intellectually-charged environment and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply.
We’re looking for our very first full time UX writer to help us build a world where all independent small businesses can easily organize, manage and scale their businesses. As our first UX writer you’ll be creating immense impact by implementing UX writing as a core pillar of our design & research processes. This role entails writing specifically for product experience. While connected to the brand creative team to collaborate on tone and voice, this role will not be writing for advertising or content marketing. We believe that copy-driven design shapes hierarchy and understanding just as much as any other interface elements. That's why we embed writers deep in the product design process right from the start. You will be working with designers, PMs, and product marketers across the HoneyBook product suite. We place a strong emphasis on our users’ success. In that effort, language has a huge impact..
Here are a few of the things you will do:
- Make the interaction with our product more human, conversational, and clear.
- Create intuitive user-centered content strategy and write all the copy across our product, both on macro and micro scales. This includes: feature names, navigation, tooltips, in-app messages, instructions, push notification, emails, and more.
- Make HoneyBook easier to use - through language, copy, and narrative.
- Define the terms we use for features, actions, concepts, and our information architecture. Build and maintain a product terms library for consistent company-wide use.
- Collaborate with our User Research team on qualitative and quantitative research with a focus on optimizing terminology and value propositions. Leverage user research and collaborate with Brand Marketing to determine and apply our voice, style, and tone to align with our target audience and usability testing results.
- Audit and improve existing copy and content.
- Evaluate the competitive and inspirational landscape to keep HoneyBook a step ahead with the latest writing, content best practices, and UX writing innovations.
Here is what we’re looking for in a candidate: (behaviors)
- You’re a writer first and foremost! You love to write product copy that’s clear and human.
- You’re meticulous about punctuation and grammar.
- Storytelling is in your blood! The product experiences you craft should build meaningfully, relying on exposition and carefully-architected information that guides people through tasks with ease.
- You have a deep understanding of the role language plays in the design process and an openness to cross-functional collaboration.
- You’re a strategic thinker and an eager problem solver.
- You write with impact: your messaging moves the needle on key metrics.
Here is what is needed:
- Native English speaker with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Love and obsession for words and the slightest differences in the feelings and meanings they convey. Aka, word nerds!
- Core UX writing skills: Metadata, information architecture, taxonomy, search, and wayfinding/navigation.
- Demonstrated ability to create, implement, and maintain content standards/guidelines across an organization.
- Successful history of introducing UX writing into a company’s practices.
- Stickler for consistent brand voice and style.
- A self-starter who can juggle multiple projects.
- 3+ years of professional writing experience.
- Experience writing for web/mobile products.
The good stuff:
- Mission driven. You'll be joining more than just another startup—our members are at the heart of everything we do; in fact, we invite them to co-work in our office and collaborate with us on the product itself.
- Impact. We move quickly and encourage every employee to push the envelope. Our best ideas come from out-of-the-box-thinking and innovation; be ready to fail fast and often!
- Compensation: We offer a competitive salary + meaningful equity based on merit.
- Benefits + Perks: From wellness programs to unlimited paid time off and exceptional family leave policies, the health and happiness of our employees is foremost.
The opportunity at HoneyBook is huge – our primary customers today are service-based small businesses and freelancers. Our company, like the members we serve, thrives on creativity and risk-taking; in eight years, we’ve become the biggest and the most widely recognized player in the small business and freelance space. To date, HoneyBook has raised $248M and is backed by investors such as Durable Capital Partners LP, Tiger Global Management, Battery Ventures, Zeev Ventures, 01 Advisors, Norwest Venture Partners, OurCrowd, and Citi Ventures.
HoneyBook is committed to diversity, inclusion and belonging and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not tolerate discrimination and do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. We strive for the best candidate experience for all applicants and if you need special assistance, please let us know.
At the end of this application, you will find a set of voluntary demographic questions. If you choose to respond, your responses will be used to help us identify areas of improvement in our recruitment process. We can only see aggregate responses and are unable to view individual responses. In fact, we aren’t even able to see if you’ve responded or not! Responding is your choice and it will not be used in any way in our hiring process.