HoneyBook is the leading business and financial management platform for small business service providers and freelancers. By combining tools like billing, contracts and client communication, HoneyBook helps business owners get organized so they can provide top-tier service at every step. HoneyBook is trusted by service providers across the U.S. and Canada who have booked more than $3B in business on its platform. Every day at HoneyBook we are on a mission to empower the freelance economy to rise together, doing what they love.
Our award-winning culture is built on core values that drive everything we do, including putting people first. We know experience comes in many different forms, some visible on your resume, others not. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you thrive in a fast-paced, intellectually-charged environment and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply.
HoneyBook is experiencing incredible growth and we know there are many untapped areas of expansion. That’s where you come into play. We are hiring a Sr. Strategy Associate to help us identify these key areas of expansion so we can continue with our accelerated growth.
Our users are small business owners who, most of the time, are running their business solo. With your direction, we can shape their businesses by offering them the tools and resources that traditionally would have been out of reach. Reporting to the Head of Strategy and Business Development, your work will help shape the trajectory of our users’ businesses, which will ultimately shape HoneyBook. As a people-first, values-driven startup, we know that when our users succeed, so do we.
Here are a few of the things you will do:
Identify New Business Expansion & Strategic Partnership Areas
- Identify and analyze the feasibility and long term value of new opportunities and business models outside of our existing core business.
- Build business cases to support recommendations and prioritize opportunities that prove to be successful.
- Navigate multiple time horizons, businesses, and go-to-markets to solve for near-term and long-term value creation.
- Evaluate new expansion opportunities and identify if they should be executed as buy/build/partner.
- For partnership opportunities, analyze the market and identify target partners to engage and negotiate partner agreements.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to deliver on expansion opportunities.
Long-term Strategic Planning
- Support the development of a long-term strategic plan for differentiation and competitive advantage.
- Create communications necessary to keep the entire company aligned with progress and if there are areas of misalignment, you know how to drive a constructive resolution.
- Plan and drive implementation of new programs, processes, and systems to improve execution and productivity across teams.
Analysis & Insights
- Support decision-making for our leadership team by preparing and delivering analyses to support business decisions.
- Gather and analyze data through quantitative and qualitative mechanisms for critical strategic issues.
- Structure complex problems and deliver deep data-driven and competitive insights to build consensus and influence decision making at all levels.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive repository of market and competitive insights and proactively identify emerging threats or opportunities.
- Develop prioritization and investment frameworks to drive the allocation of resources.
Here is what is needed:
- 5 years of experience in corporate or business strategy, management consulting, or competitive intelligence.
- Experience working at a payments, financial services, or fintech company is a plus.
- Experience driving large initiatives from framing the problem, conducting research/analysis to building the business and operational plans through to driving execution to success is required.
- A strategic thinker with a passion for solving ambiguous or complex business issues.
- Strong project management and leadership skills, including influencing and directing non-direct reports.
- Intellectually curious, detail-oriented, and driven to make an impact on the business.
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced and innovative high-growth environment.
- Highly collaborative with strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Propensity to ask insightful questions, conduct thorough research, and understand both high-level strategy and ground-level tactical needs.
- Strong analytical and financial skills to work on complex business issues using data to drive insights and decision-making, with minimum supervision.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to make things successful.
The good stuff:
- Mission driven. You'll be joining more than just another startup—our members are at the heart of everything we do; in fact, we invite them to co-work in our office and collaborate with us on the product itself.
- Impact. We move quickly and encourage every employee to push the envelope. Our best ideas come from out-of-the-box-thinking and innovation; be ready to fail fast and often!
- Compensation: We offer a competitive salary + meaningful equity based on merit.
- Benefits + Perks: From wellness programs to unlimited paid time off and exceptional family leave policies, the health and happiness of our employees is foremost.
The opportunity at HoneyBook is huge – our primary customers today are service-based small businesses and freelancers. Our company, like the members we serve, thrives on creativity and risk-taking; in eight years, we’ve become the biggest and the most widely recognized player in the small business and freelance space. To date, HoneyBook has raised $248M and is backed by investors such as Durable Capital Partners LP, Tiger Global Management, Battery Ventures, Zeev Ventures, 01 Advisors, Norwest Venture Partners, OurCrowd, and Citi Ventures.
HoneyBook is committed to diversity, inclusion and belonging and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not tolerate discrimination and do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. We strive for the best candidate experience for all applicants and if you need special assistance, please let us know.
At the end of this application, you will find a set of voluntary demographic questions. If you choose to respond, your responses will be used to help us identify areas of improvement in our recruitment process. We can only see aggregate responses and are unable to view individual responses. In fact, we aren’t even able to see if you’ve responded or not! Responding is your choice and it will not be used in any way in our hiring process.