honestbee is Asia's leading online concierge and delivery service for all your lifestyle needs. With our technical expertise, data-fuelled operations and our network of partners, people experience how life’s just easier with honestbee.
honestbee entered the Japan market in 2017 and we've seen great success with grocery partners like Seiyu, Costco, Isetan and restaurant partners like Burger King, First Kitchen and Matsuya. We are growing quickly not only in Tokyo, but in Kansai and nationally. We are looking forward to exciting new projects and partnerships and taking honestbee to the next level!
This is a senior role that reports to the General Counsel, with dotted line reporting to the country head of honestbee’s Japan operations. You will be the first and sole legal advisor for honestbee in Japan and will have real impact on the growth and evolution of our Japan business.
Your role includes (but is not limited to) the following key accountabilities:
- Provide end-to-end legal support over a wide scope of practice, including commercial, employment, IP, data protection, corporate, litigation and regulatory
- Draft, negotiate, amend and create all types of contracts as needed, including real estate leases
- Stay ahead of the curve on a broad spectrum of local employment and labour issues, especially issues concerning misclassification of employees and matters that affect the sharing economy
- Understand retail business
- Find opportunities to liaise with regulators as needed to educate them about the sharing economy
- Develop and implement policies and processes; ensure alignment with global policies and enforcement of key provisions and protections
- Manage disputes and litigation with our merchant customers, consumers and suppliers
- Support social media marketing campaigns, as well as issues related to data protection and privacy requirements
- Provide training, guidance and leadership on ethics and compliance issues.
- Support and planning for M&A, corporate financing, tax structuring and all other corporate activities
- Continuously discover ways to provide legal services in an effective manner
- Expect business calls before and after office hours from time to time; must be flexible and work extended hours when necessary to complete projects in a timely fashion
- Maintain open communication with the management team and proactively escalate any risks, together with your thought out recommended solutions
- Partner with the other members of the General Counsel’s office to deliver services worldwide
- Help launch into new markets outside of Japan
- Manage and enforce intellectual property rights
- Translation of legal documents
WHAT WE NEED
- A person of high integrity
- Excellent spoken English and native Japanese language capability
- Member of a bar association (does not have to be Japan)
- At least 8-12 years of experience. You have gained that experience by working as a corporate lawyer or legal manager at an in-house team of a multinational company or have trained and qualified into the commercial department of an international law firm. You will ideally have spent 2-4 years working in-house.
- Able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility and ownership for matters
- Able to work across multiple jurisdictions in virtual teams
- Must know how to prioritize, work well under pressure, and view deadlines as milestones, and not millstones
- Must be able to optimize for risk in a commercial setting
- Understanding of FMCG, logistics and retail industries not a requirement but an advantage. Must have keen interest to understand business and broader FMCG, logistics and retail market place
- Good communication skills
- Able to stand up for yourself and handle high-pressured questioning from C-suite executives
- Familiarity with a matrix organization is a plus