Detect’s mission is to empower individuals to have greater ownership of their health with rapid, low-cost home and point-of-care diagnostics. We build breakthrough technology at the intersection of software, hardware, chemistry, and biology to make diagnostics accessible at the point of need. Our ultimate goal is to apply this technology to lower costs, improve patient outcomes, and improve doctor experience by enabling earlier diagnosis and access to treatment.
Detect is a well-funded, rapidly growing health-tech company founded by award-winning scientist and highly successful serial entrepreneur, Dr. Jonathan Rothberg. Detect benefits from being a 4Catalyzer company, an incubator of biotech and med device companies (most notably Butterfly Network) who have collectively raised over $2 billion in funding.
Joining Detect is the opportunity to redesign the future of healthcare through the power of technology. Embark on a journey with us to maximize global impact, motivated by the idea that our products will change the lives of millions along with the people you love.
The Engineering team designs and realizes the physical components and hardware for Detect’s innovative products. You will be working as part of a small and experienced team at the crossroads of medical diagnostics and home products. We envision a future where self-testing is simple and diagnostics occur in the home. Come work alongside a world-class team of scientists and engineers in a collaborative, hands-on environment to expand access to high-accuracy diagnostic testing hardware!
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be to:
- Contribute to the mechanical engineering design of our next generation products, from prototyping to manufacturing
- Design, prototype, assemble, and test design concepts
- Contribute to written documentation, including engineering drawings, test plans, and work instructions
- Work closely with the Detect manufacturing team to produce diagnostic products
Baseline skills, experiences, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering
- Comfortable using basic shop equipment for prototype fabrication: think 3D printers, laser cutters, and soldering irons
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes for higher-volume, lower cost production
- Exposure to CAD software
- Willingness to design, execute, and document test procedures
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
If you have a passion for making, you’re in good company! We’d love to see examples of projects you’re proud of, so a visual portfolio is a highly encouraged supplement to a written application. University assignments, professional endeavors, weekend projects, or simple design experimentation with visual, mechanical, software, or electrical tools are all encouraged.
Ideally, you also have some of these skills, experiences, and attributes (but it’s ok if you don’t!):
- Mechanical design software experience:
- BOM management and product lifecycle management tools, such as PDM and Propel
- Experience with rapid prototype fabrication techniques for high-fidelity prototypes, either hands-on or through outside vendors
- In addition to basic prototyping tools, Detect engineers have access to a full shop that includes CNC machines, a manual mill and lathe, a CNC router, sheet metal forming tools, and much more
- Product design and manufacturing experience:
- Experience designing and releasing injection molded components and/or other volume-produced components (sheet metal, formed wire, die cutting, die casting, etc.)
- Experience detailing engineering drawings and maintaining product BOMs
- Exposure to NPI builds at a contract manufacturer (EVT through MP)
- Comfortable managing vendor relationships to drive rapid timelines & high-quality deliverables
- Familiarity with any of the following fields:
- Microfluidic design
- Molecular biology
- Electromechanical system design (think: Arduino-based prototypes for test platform development)
- FEA/CAD simulation
- Thermal design
- Statistical analysis & test engineering
- Medical device design
You deeply identify with core Detect values:
- Put people first. Our colleagues and our customers come first. We respect each other and celebrate our diversity. We take joy in each other’s success, and succeed or fail as a team
- Eye of the owner. We have an ownership mindset and take responsibility for all of our decisions. No problem is someone else's problem. We are frugal and use company resources as if they were our own
- No genius without grit. As innovators, we fail often but fast. We are tenacious. We push through adversity and keep getting up. We are problem solvers and always find a way
- Err on the side of doing. We are scrappy and biased toward action — everyone is an individual contributor. We allow intuition to guide us when we have imperfect information
- Move faster by working smarter. We are inventors. We focus, plan, pursue, and adjust to make big things happen in a fraction of the time others can. We disagree and commit
- Always be frank. We celebrate openness and diversity of opinion. We are transparent and candid but compassionate in our feedback, and are always honest to ourselves and our customers
We offer great perks:
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office near the ocean-front in historic Guilford, Connecticut
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Detect does not accept agency resumes.
Detect is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.