Detect’s mission is to empower individuals to have greater ownership of their health with rapid, low-cost home and point-of-care diagnostics. We build breakthrough technology at the intersection of software, hardware, chemistry, and biology to make diagnostics accessible at the point of need. Our ultimate goal is to apply this technology to lower costs, improve patient outcomes, and improve doctor experience by enabling earlier diagnosis and access to treatment.
Detect is a well-funded, rapidly growing health-tech company founded by award-winning scientist and highly successful serial entrepreneur, Dr. Jonathan Rothberg. Detect benefits from being a 4Catalyzer company, an incubator of biotech and med device companies (most notably Butterfly Network) who have collectively raised over $2 billion in funding.
Joining Detect is the opportunity to redesign the future of healthcare through the power of technology. Embark on a journey with us to maximize global impact, motivated by the idea that our products will change the lives of millions along with the people you love.
The Engineering team designs and realizes the physical components and hardware for Detect’s innovative products. You will be working as part of a small and experienced team at the crossroads of medical diagnostics and home products. We envision a future where self-testing is simple and diagnostics occur in the home. Come work alongside a world-class team of scientists and engineers in a collaborative, hands-on environment to expand access to high-accuracy diagnostic testing hardware!
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be to:
- Design, realize, and commission targeted solutions and workcells to automate critical manufacturing assembly processes for the production of disposable diagnostics devices
- Lead medium to high complexity projects, gathering inputs from cross-disciplinary teams, and synthesizing into appropriate design activities
- Collaborate with Quality team on equipment process validation, lead testing of equipment, and documentation of results
- Create supporting technical documentation, including hardware design plans, control software, design requirements, functional specifications, qualification test plans and reports, and documentation needed to reproduce designs
- Continually capture and communicate progress with the team
- Lead DFM and DVT analyses for engineering designs
- Design for higher-volume, lower-cost manufacturing
Baseline skills, experiences, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in Engineering or related field, with 5+ years of professional experience
- Has successfully completed, at minimum, one end-to-end (concept-to-use) integrated workcell or production system incorporating, but not limited to: multi-axis robotic arms, end of arm design, conveyance systems, PLC programming, custom fixturing, liquid dispensing heads/pumps, and camera/vision systems
- Industry experience in medical device, preferably diagnostics, or other regulated industries, and working knowledge of GMP, gAMP, QMS, and ISO guidelines
- Experience troubleshooting electrical and mechanical aspects of industrial equipment, including debugging wiring and interpreting electrical drawings
- Experience leading DFM and DVT analyses
- Understanding of statistical process control, reliability prediction, failure analysis, and validation
- Experience with rapid prototyping tools and methods
- Working experience with:
- BOM management, collaboration, and product lifecycle management tools, such as Altium or Propel
- Version control systems (Git)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal. Ability to work with individuals and/or teams at all levels and disciplines
If you have a passion for making, you’re in good company! We’d love to see examples of projects you’re proud of, so a visual portfolio is a highly encouraged supplement to a written application. Professional endeavors, weekend projects, university assignments, or simple design experimentation with visual, mechanical, software, or electrical tools are all encouraged.
Ideally, you also have some of these skills, experiences, and attributes:
- Experience with rapid prototype fabrication techniques for high-fidelity prototypes, either hands-on or through outside vendors
- In addition to basic prototyping tools, Detect engineers have access to a full shop that includes CNC machines, a manual mill and lathe, a CNC router, sheet metal forming tools, and much more
- Product design and manufacturing experience:
- Experience maintaining product BOMs
- Exposure to NPI builds at a contract manufacturer (EVT through MP)
- Comfortable managing vendor relationships to drive rapid timelines & high-quality deliverables
- Familiarity with any of the following fields:
- Microfluidic design
- Molecular biology
- Optics & Optoelectronics
- Programming experience (Python, C++, etc.)
- Statistical analysis & test engineering
- Medical device design
You deeply identify with core Detect values:
- Put people first. Our colleagues and our customers come first. We respect each other and celebrate our diversity. We take joy in each other’s success, and succeed or fail as a team
- Eye of the owner. We have an ownership mindset and take responsibility for all of our decisions. No problem is someone else's problem. We are frugal and use company resources as if they were our own
- No genius without grit. As innovators, we fail often but fast. We are tenacious. We push through adversity and keep getting up. We are problem solvers and always find a way
- Err on the side of doing. We are scrappy and biased toward action — everyone is an individual contributor. We allow intuition to guide us when we have imperfect information
- Move faster by working smarter. We are inventors. We focus, plan, pursue, and adjust to make big things happen in a fraction of the time others can. We disagree and commit
- Always be frank. We celebrate openness and diversity of opinion. We are transparent and candid but compassionate in our feedback, and are always honest to ourselves and our customers
We offer great perks:
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office near the ocean-front in historic Guilford, Connecticut
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Detect does not accept agency resumes.
Detect is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.