Senior Visual Designer
Detect’s mission is to democratize healthcare by developing breakthrough technology that allows us to discover, develop, manufacture, and commercialize transformative cures for untreated genetic diseases. We are championing a new era of healthcare by writing DNA where it matters.
Detect is a well-funded, rapidly growing health-tech company founded by award-winning scientist and highly successful serial entrepreneur, Dr. Jonathan Rothberg. Detect benefits from being a 4Catalyzer company, an incubator of biotech and med device companies (most notably Butterfly Network) who have collectively raised over $700 million in funding.
Joining Detect is the opportunity to redesign the future of healthcare through the power of technology. Embark on a journey with us to maximize global impact, motivated by the idea that our products will change the lives of millions along with the people you love.
Design at Detect will play a critical role in building industry-leading products and experiences that are intuitive, easy to use, and beautiful. We are seeking a consumer-focused, creative, and hands-on Visual Designer to build Detect’s internal Design function from the ground up. You will work across Detect’s Commercial and Product projects—from defining our brand architecture to the design and experience on our website and mobile products to our packaging to our sales and marketing materials—creating a consistent end-to-end brand experience across multiple customer touch-points. This is a highly collaborative and strategic role; you’ll develop strong partnerships with Product, Engineering, User Experience, Sales, Success, and Support, while helping define and scale Detect’s core offerings. We seek a builder, original thinker, and strong collaborator — someone who cares deeply about our customers, the work we do, and a driving curiosity to push boundaries to create and develop products and experiences that can save lives.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Become an expert on Detect’s customers, working cross-functionally to create the most intuitive and desirable experience
- Constantly evolve and push boundaries in developing the best, most consumer-first home diagnostic testing experience across Detect’s suite of products
- Build our internal Design and Creative team from the ground up
- Create a scalable design systems and guidelines to create consistency and cohesion across teams and projects
- Create engaging work on traditional and non-traditional channels focused on acquiring, engaging, and educating a diverse audience of healthcare professionals, businesses, and individuals on the value of Detect
- Partner with key stakeholders to ensure design work addresses Detect’s strategic goals. This means working closely with Product, Engineering, Marketing, R&D, Quality, Sales, and Support to bring concepts to final execution
- Understand -- in a data-driven environment -- how to appeal to consumers minds AND hearts
In the first 90 days, you will:
- Be excited to deep dive - become well versed in healthcare, bringing a friendly and consumer-focused approach to translate the complexity of our product to prospective customers
- Build, mentor, and lead a multi-functional team of talented individuals, freelancers, and agencies across creative disciplines.
- Rethink how we (efficiently and effectively) bring the Detect experience to customers
- Are a strong conceptual thinker and builder at heart. You believe that a creative approach to any problem will yield a stronger result
- Love working at a strategic level, but are happy to roll up your sleeves when needed
- Are excited to join a company with real startup culture (and perhaps leave the Advertising world behind)
- Take as much pride in building a great user experience in an app or unboxing experience as in a TV ad, social media post, or billboard
- Are someone who has experience leading multiple projects through full strategic and creative development — research, strategy (why and how), wireframing, prototyping, beta testing, production, QA, launch
- Are someone with an ability to inspire others, who can build and develop teams with clear goals and measurable impact
- Believe that effective work is achieved through collaboration in small, fast-moving teams
- Have a strong portfolio demonstrating a passion and ability to lead design projects across a wide range of media (product, mobile, web, TV, web, print, OOH)
Above all else:
- You are friendly, thoughtful, collaborative, and kind
- Always have an informed point of view, and an open mind
You Deeply Identify with Core Detect Values:
- Efficient & Speedy - you get work done in a fraction of the time as industry peers
- Intellectually Curious - you are thoughtful & inquisitive; people enjoy working with you because they learn from you
- Mission-Driven & Committed - you are passionate about the company's purpose and are immensely productive
- Team Oriented - you celebrate and take joy in the success of others on the team