Homeward is a technology-enabled healthcare provider delivering quality, affordable and comprehensive care to those who don’t have it. Starting in rural America. Today, 60 million Americans living in rural communities are facing a crisis of access to care. In the U.S. healthcare system, rural Americans experience significantly poorer clinical outcomes. This trend is rapidly accelerating as rural hospitals close and physician shortages increase, exacerbating health disparities. In fact, Americans living in rural communities suffer a mortality rate 23 percent higher than those in urban communities, in part because of the lack of access to quality care.
Our vision is care that enables everyone to achieve their best health. So, we’re rearchitecting the way it’s delivered – leveraging breakthroughs in diagnostics, remote monitoring, and a variety of other domains, Homeward is creating a new healthcare delivery model that is purpose-built for rural America and directly addresses the issues that have historically limited access and quality.
Most importantly, we’re aligning everyone’s incentives (ours, partner health plans’, and members’) towards getting and keeping people healthy by taking full responsibility and financial risk for the total cost of each member’s healthcare and outcomes.
Homeward is co-founded by a leadership team that defined and delivered Livongo’s products, and backed most recently by a $50 million series B co-led by Arch Ventures and Human Capital, with participation from General Catalyst for a total of $70 million in funding. With this leadership team and funding, Homeward is committed to bringing high-quality healthcare to rural communities in need.
Join us in tackling healthcare for rural America! We’re seeking a data engineer who is passionate about having positive societal impact and using technology for good - solving issues of health inequity for communities that have been perennially underserved. As an early member of our engineering team, you’ll partner closely with our analytics team to support data-driven decision making across the company by leading the design and development of our technical data infrastructure.
What you’ll do:
- Work with data science, product, engineering, operations, and clinical teams to define requirements for Homeward’s data infrastructure
- Collaborate with engineering teams to ensure a uniform and consistent taxonomy and data collection practices that yield high quality analytics and insights for now and the future
- Design and build infrastructure to ingest, store, and report on members’ health data, such as claims data, lab results, medications, clinical data and more
- Design and implement workflows for ingestion and transformation for various data sources
- Work with a modern data engineering stack - some pieces of ours include Airbyte, Snowflake, and Metabase.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of hands-on development experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related technical discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- You have in-depth experience working with data warehouses (preferably Snowflake) and relational databases (preferably Postgres)
- You have experience with structuring and permissioning data in data lakes / marts to make data available on a role-specific basis
- You are comfortable working with a variety of data formats as part of a data ingestion pipeline (we primarily deal with CSV and Parquet files)
- You have implemented infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably AWS
- You have built well-structured data pipelines with ETL/ELT tools (preferably Airbyte and dbt)
Impress us even more:
- You have experience working with streaming remote data sources, such as connected devices/IoT
- You have a healthy understanding of security and PHI, especially where it interacts with HIPAA regulations. You internalize that security is a first-order priority and evangelize this position to others through implementation and documentation.
- You’ve worked as an individual contributor at a startup in the past, perhaps even your own!
What shapes our company:
- Deep commitment to one another, the people and communities we serve, and to care that enables everyone to achieve their best health
- Compassion and empathy
- Curiosity, and an eagerness to listen
- Drive to deliver high-quality experiences, clinical care, and cost-effectiveness
- Strong focus on sustainability of our business and scalability of our services, to maximize our reach and impact
- Nurturing a diverse workforce, with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and points of view
- Taking our mission and business seriously, but not taking ourselves too seriously– having fun as we build!
- Competitive salary, equity grant, generous paid time off
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision insurance with 100% of monthly premium covered for employees
- Company-sponsored 401k plan
- Flexible working arrangement