HOMER has a newly created opportunity for an exceptional Controller to join our energetic, growing team in New York!
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the early learning program that provides the best educational start possible by offering fun, personalized, and proven learning products for kids ages 2-8. We are a venture-backed, high-growth business that offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits in a creative, flexible environment that invests in professional development. Current HOMER partners include beloved consumer brands such as Fisher-Price, Gymboree Play & Music, Amazon and others.
We are looking for an experienced Controller to join the Finance and Accounting team here at HOMER. The Controller will be responsible for HOMER’s entire accounting function. You will be at the intersection of the Operations, Finance, Business Development, and the office of the CEO, supporting the growth of a fast-scaling educational startup from the inside. Reporting to the VP, Finance, you will be critical in implementing a world-class Accounting & Finance function. You will provide financial insights to measure company performance, participate in operational decisions, and drive smarter business decisions across all levels of the organization. The ideal candidate will be an extremely strong accountant that wants to get their foot in the door to the finance and operations world.
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions
- Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results
- Coordinate and prepare internal and external financial statements
- Coordinate activities of external auditors and establish process for internal audits
- Own, update and maintain revenue workbooks and proper accounting
- Own vendor relationships for banks, credit cards and accounting software.
- Own equity capitalization table and reporting software Carta.
- Partner with HR on payroll, benefits and other areas
- Manage inventory tracking and purchase orders
- Oversee and review AP process and manage and report on cash flows
- Provide management with information vital to the decision-making process `
- Manage the budget process and build strong relationships with department heads
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
- Evaluating accounting processes, guidance and internal controls
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Conduct research and make recommendations to implement proper financial policies and processes (i.e. expense reimbursements, T&E, AP/AR, etc.)
- Develop and monitor business performance metrics
- Oversee regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
- Hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff as the team continues to grow.
- Corporate Governance, such as: preparation of annual tax returns, advisement on proper insurance coverages, and ensuring compliance with local tax authorities.
- Monitor performance indicators, highlighting trends and analyzing variances
- Improve performance by evaluating processes to drive efficiencies
- Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely
financial recommendations to management for decision making purposes
- Support Senior Mgmt. and Dept. heads with in-depth analyses
- Participate in M&A activities and acquisition integration
- 7+ years experience, including Big 4 Accounting experience and relevant work experience in a banking, VC or start-up environment
- CPA Certification
- Ability to manage multiple sets of books in a fast paced growing environment
- Experience integrating a new accounting system.
- Proven ability to facilitate an audit by a top 20 accounting firm.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, project management and communication skills
- A desire to dive in and learn about new problems, startups and technology
- Ability to interpret, understand and manipulate complex data - a master of excel and data
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to interact and influence at all levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and deliver within short/tight deadlines and with high precision
- Ability to think creatively, highly-driven and self-motivated
- Demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with team members in a hands-on management capacity
We prefer but don’t require:
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics
- Masters of Accounting or MBA
- Experience with QuickBooks and NetSuite
- SQL is a plus
We like people who:
- Are open to suggestions, collaborative, and thrive in team environments
- Love and are willing to learn new technologies and styles
- Are scrappy, entrepreneurial with the ability to turnaround high-quality projects quickly
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly
- The rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe. We’re bringing a love of reading and learning to children globally
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.