HOMER has a newly created opportunity for a Senior Engineer, Android to join our growing team! This role can be remote based in Toronto or within Ontario province in Canada.
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the proven early learning program that provides the best educational start possible. We offer personalized, fun, and proven learning products for kids ages 2-8 to help build confidence, mastery, and a love of learning. We are deeply committed to our members and to their children, and we are building a creative and strategic team to develop a portfolio of early learning products that support learning everywhere.
Reporting to our Engineering Manager, Android, the Senior Android Engineer will expand our technology stack to include native Android applications. This role will be responsible for creating reliable, scalable, and high-performance mobile apps for Android based systems, contributing to software architecture and driving best practices that enable a quality product.
- Make direct technical contributions (writing, debugging, reviewing and deploying code).
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to your team members on a team distributed in several time-zones using agile project management methodologies.
- Contribute to technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts.
- Build automated tests and help maintain existing testsuites.
- Demonstrable expertise designing and building native Android applications and shared frameworks (SDKs).
- Proficiency in Kotlin or Java and knowledge of the Android SDK and Android ecosystem.
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available in the Google Play Store.
- Sound Computer Science fundamentals (Bachelor’s degree in CS or related field preferred).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience (or undergraduate degree in Computer Science and 3 years of relevant work experience).
- Familiarity or experience working with GraphQL APIs.
- Experience with making products based on data and A/B testing.
- Experience consuming data from web services.
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry.
- Experience working with offshore teams.
We like people who:
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders and other team members (product managers, UI/UX designers, engineers, animators, illustrators, data scientists and others) to define and refine requirements and then execute on them.
- Have the ability and willingness to switch programming languages as necessary.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and know how to balance speed to market and elegance in technical design.
- Are passionate about and thrive in a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others.
- Care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build a complete and long-term solution for the whole ecosystem.
- Want to be part of an organization with a transparent and agile environment where you can communicate freely and openly.
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits.
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly.
- Help bring a love of reading and learning to children globally!
HOMER is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
At HOMER, we are committed to building a diverse team of talented people who are passionate about creating educational content kids love. We believe in fostering a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. At HOMER, we know that diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just an idea, a one-time initiative, or phrases to throw into a job post: they’re a daily practice and an ongoing conversation. We survey our team about inclusivity, run trainings on DEI topics, and have a committee to ensure we are all continuing to learn and grow.