ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is one of the largest and most successful nonprofit public charter school networks in the nation, operating 26 high-performing, public charter middle and high schools that educate nearly 13,000 scholars from Los Angeles’ most underserved communities. Alliance schools have been recognized as among the best in the nation by US News & World Report, Newsweek, the U.S. Department of Education, and the California Department of Education. Since opening its first school in 2004, 95% of Alliance scholars have graduated from high school and been accepted to college. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities. Now is the time to join our collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
The Vice President, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion leads the strategy and vision setting to ensure we live our commitment to be an anti-racist and pro-Black organization. The Vice President is a thoughtful culture creator and leader who leads their team to help make Alliance a top place to work. Reporting to the Chief Equity Programs Officer, the Vice President, will sit on the Leadership Teams of the Equity Programs team and Alliance’s Home Office, and advise the senior leaders of the organization on issues related to DEI and anti-racism to ensure all Alliance staff and scholars are affirmed and feel a sense of belonging, can be productive and successful in achieving their professional and personal goals, and can positively contribute to Alliance’s mission.
Develop and oversee the implementation of a strategic plan and influence colleagues to operationalize the DEI vision
- Oversee the development and implementation of an overarching vision and strategy to become an anti-racist organization
- Build strategic partnerships with teams and schools that promote directional alignment and support interdependencies across workstreams
- Develop an approach that builds on the organization’s equity journey, lessons learned, and best practices thus far
- Understand the nuances of how an organization-wide strategic plan is implemented in varied schools and teams across Alliance
- Provide leadership to differentiate our organizational vision for DEI into team-specific actions, performance management practices, and accountability systemsEnsure network systems, tools, policies, and practices reflect our values and commitment to anti-racism
- Collaboratively establish a vision and strategy for thriving, creative, anti-racist, trauma-informed, college-oriented school cultures across the Alliance network
- Build capacity for Alliance leaders to understand, engage in, and lead anti-racism, pro-Black work with their staff
- Dismantle racist institutional behaviors, practices, systems, and structures to ensure equitable outcomes for all staff, especially our Black and Brown scholars and staff
- Promote continuous learning regarding anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion within Alliance’s culture and practice, at schools and across the network
Team Management & Leadership
- Serve as a member of the Equity Program Leadership Team
- Create a thriving, anti-racist team culture and effectively empower, support, and develop DEI team members with an assets-based approach
- Lead a cross-functional working group that informs Alliance’s anti-racism journey, builds connections across teams and schools to amplify DEI impact, and supports organizational shifts
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Commitment to the Alliance's core beliefs and philosophy
- Knowledge of urban school environments and school culture
- A proven track record of anti-racist leadership and systems change
- Relentless dedication to holistically centering the work of the organization on the experience of school sites and scholars
- Knowledge of the diversity, equity, and inclusiveness research base and best practices for organizations striving to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive
- Ability to create cultural shifts grounded in community while centering and uplifting marginalized voices
- Strong interpersonal and consulting skills with the ability to build relationships with, influence, and coach leaders across all levels of the organization
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-layered organization and build strong relationships with teachers, school leaders, and other home office and school-based staff
- Independent thinker who can provide strategic thought leadership
- At least 5 years of progressive professional work experience in diversity, equity, and inclusion, including at least 2 years of K-12 school leadership experience at the principal or principal-equivalent level and at least 2 years of K-12 teaching experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- Experience in K-12 education, ideally in a large school system
- Demonstrated deep commitment to anti-racism and diversity, equity, and inclusion
This position is a hybrid role that will include working from home, our network office, and travel to school sites. The successful candidate will be given a $400 work-from-home set-up allowance and receive a monthly stipend of $100.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In alignment with our commitment to equity for our scholars, Alliance is committed to equity and transparency for our team and offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience as well as generous retirement and health benefits. This position is exempt.
- Compensation: Alliance provides a competitive salary. Based on relevant prior work experience, our salary range for this role is $130,000 - $173,500. This position is also eligible for a $7,500 hiring bonus paid in two installments over the first year of employment.
- Relocation: Individuals residing outside of the Greater Los Angeles area are eligible for a relocation bonus of $5,000 for individuals and $7,500 for new staff with families/partners.
- Health Insurance: Medical, dental, and vision plans options that are covered at 100% of monthly premiums for individual employees and at least $1,000 per month towards medical family plan premiums. Please click HERE for more information on health insurance.
- Retirement: Alliance Home Office employees are eligible for a retirement allowance equal to 7.5% of their regular yearly earnings. Please click HERE for more information on retirement.
- Paid Leave: Regular full-time 12-month employees receive 8.5 weeks of vacation and paid time off. Full-time employees accrue 3 weeks of flexible paid time off per year and receive 27 other paid holidays as part of our network calendar.
- Professional Development: At Alliance, we believe in supporting staff growth and development. Home Office staff are allocated $500 per year for professional development expenses.
Interested candidates should visit submit their application and supporting documents below. Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
** PLEASE NOTE: Alliance College-Ready Public Schools requires that all team members be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the safety of our students, family, and staff. Team members may apply to seek a medical exemption. Regardless of your current vaccination status, our team can advise you on how to fulfill this important requirement so that you can start the position in a timely way. **
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and other underrepresented people tend to only apply when they match every criterion. If you think you meet some of the qualifications, but don't necessarily check every box in the job description, we encourage you to still apply. If you have questions contact the Staffing Team at JoinUs@laalliance.org.
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools are tuition-free public charter schools that do not discriminate against any scholar, parent, community member, or staff member based on actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. #LI-Hybrid