ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is one of the largest and most successful nonprofit public charter school networks in the nation, operating 26 high-performing, public charter middle and high schools that educate nearly 13,000 scholars from Los Angeles’ most underserved communities. Alliance schools have been recognized as among the best in the nation by US News & World Report, Newsweek, the U.S. Department of Education, and the California Department of Education. Since opening its first school in 2004, 95% of Alliance scholars have graduated from high school and been accepted to college. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities. Now is the time to join our collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
Reporting to the Payroll Director, the Payroll Manager implements key payroll functions for Alliance’s schools and the Home Office. The Payroll Manager is responsible for both home office and school payroll processing, calculating and maintaining payroll records, and running monthly reports. This is a rewarding and critical back-office role that ensures the smooth operation of our 26 schools and Home Office. This is an ideal opportunity for a collaborative, customer service-oriented professional to support a mission-driven network of schools.
- Act as first point-of-contact for school managers, principals, and Home Office staff regarding day-to-day payroll processing operations.
- Responsible for full-cycle payroll processing from start to finish, including but not limited to:
- Prepare, process, and review payroll reports for accuracy, completeness and compliance;
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll changes, adjustments, and terminations;
- Review payroll registers to verify wages and deductions are correct for every employee’s paycheck per pay period;
- Send Accounting liability and month-end reports;
- Review wire transfer and manual payroll check requests are issued and calculated correctly.
- Establish and maintain all payroll records including payroll reports, check vouchers, quarterly and annual reports, and tax returns. Archive and safeguard all payroll related files by each fiscal year.
- Audit and review vacation and sick accruals to ensure they are up-to-date. Address and resolve discrepancies.
- Work with cross-functional teams to collaborate on shared projects and priorities.
- Support and develop Associate with tickets management, efficient payroll processing, and relationship-building with school and Home Office staff.
- Oversee ticket management system by reviewing, researching, and resolving escalated tickets in an accurate and timely manner. Collaborate with school and Home Office teams for resolutions.
- Review and submit monthly STRS and PERS reports by the specified due dates. Stay up to date with STRS and PERS compliance. Conduct STRS and PERS research and submit corrections as needed.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Perform other duties and analysis as requested by the Payroll Director, Vice President of Fiscal Strategy, and Chief Financial Officer.
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Commitment to Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy.
- Possess a strong characteristic for attention to detail and accuracy and have strong organizational skills.
- Problem-solver who can organize and prioritize work demands in order to meet critical deadlines.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now, ADP Essential Time & Attendance, Google Suite (Gchat, video calls, drive), and Microsoft Office (Excel macros. Vlookup, pivot table).
- Familiarity with projected and reconciled payrolls, CalSTRS/CalPERS, Freshdesk (TMS), accounting journal entries, accrual accounting principles and procedures, and CA wage compliance.
- Resourceful and critical thinker with the ability to work independently with manager guidance.
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented and customer-service focused environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships.
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university; OR
- At least 5 years of professional work experience and a HS Diploma or equivalent (e.g. G.E.D.)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In alignment with our commitment to equity for our scholars, Alliance is committed to equity and transparency for our team and offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience as well as generous retirement and health benefits. This position is exempt/nonexempt.
- Compensation: Alliance provides a competitive salary. Based on relevant prior work experience, our salary range for this role is $79,200 - $115,000.
- Relocation: Individuals residing outside of the Greater Los Angeles area are eligible for a relocation bonus of $5,000 for individuals and $7,500 for new staff with families/partners.
- Health Insurance: Medical, dental, and vision plans options that are covered at 100% of monthly premiums for individual employees and at least $1,000 per month towards medical family plan premiums. Please click HERE for more information on health insurance.
- Retirement: Alliance Home Office employees are eligible for a retirement allowance equal to 7.5% of their regular yearly earnings. Please click HERE for more information on retirement.
- Paid Leave: Regular full-time 12-month employees receive 8.5 weeks of vacation and paid time off. Full-time employees accrue 3 weeks of flexible paid time off per year and receive 27 other paid holidays as part of our network calendar.
- Professional Development: At Alliance, we believe in supporting staff growth and development. Home Office staff are allocated $500 per year for professional development expenses.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter below. Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
** PLEASE NOTE: Alliance College-Ready Public Schools requires that all team members be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the safety of our students, family, and staff. Team members may apply to seek a medical exemption. Regardless of your current vaccination status, our team can advise you on how to fulfill this important requirement so that you can start the position in a timely way. **
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and other underrepresented people tend to only apply when they match every criteria. If you think you meet some of the qualifications, but don't necessarily check every box in the job description, we encourage you to still apply. If you have questions contact the Staffing Team at Joinus@lalliance.org.