Angie’s List is looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) to work on increasing test automation on Scrum Teams in Indianapolis, IN. This is a hybrid role that will require some functional testing of back-end services (like API calls) while building automated tests as much as possible. We are looking for someone who has a passion for making sure software performs accurately, efficiently, and according to plan. As members of fast-paced Scrum teams, our QA team members find and destroy bugs as early as possible in our continuous-delivery software development environment. Building great web- and mobile-based software for our members and service professionals can be fun, challenging, iterative, and even chaotic at times – our best employees embrace this, are eager to continuously learn, and strive to improve their team and the department.
- Ensure quality and integrity: Perform manual testing as needed during Sprints and deployments but transition manual tests to repeatable automated tests whenever possible. Write clear and detailed, yet concise, test cases in TestRail for manual tests that are repeatable and can be carried out by others. Monitor software deployments for issues. Triage issues as they arise to get a prompt resolution, learn from the situation, and own making changes to prevent similar problems in the future.
- Collaborate and coach on software quality: Work with the Core Platform team and QA counterparts in overseeing bug tracking and test prioritization. As the software quality expert on your Scrum team, identify root causes for software defects and coach your Scrum team as a whole to improve quality. Work with your peers in the QA department to create and spread software quality best practices to other Scrum teams. Share knowledge of automated testing to help other QA testers adopt automation to improve software quality on their own teams.
- Embrace test automation: You’ll run automated tests as part of your testing and will constantly work to improve the suite of automated tests covering Core Platform work. Share best practices and automated testing knowledge with other Scrum teams with the goals of increasing adoption of automated testing.
Why we think you'll like working here:
- More than 6 million households use Angie's List to find the best local service providers, like roofers, plumbers, handymen, and mechanics. You’ll have a direct impact on customer experience every single day for our members and service professionals.
- You’ll work in a continuous-delivery software development environment deploying into a world class, cloud-based, event-driven microservice architecture that serves both our members and service providers across the US.
- We're not afraid to make mistakes and figure out how we can be better in our next Sprint.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possession of an undergraduate degree in computer information technology, computer engineering, or related degree
- 2+ years’ experience in a SDET role or software engineering or development
- Experience working on technical teams building software applications
- Strong experience testing web-based software, including backend testing of databases and RESTful APIs to verify test results and ensure appropriate data conditions exist to supplement your front-end testing work.
- Experience designing and monitoring Automation Scripts
- Working knowledge of version control system(s).
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Skilled in diagnosing and solving complex problems and providing detailed technical analysis to software developers and Ops engineers to fix issues.
- Strong SQL experience verifying data on backend (including use of joins), preferably in MySql or MSSQL.
- Proficient in testing backend services using Postman, SoapUI, or another API testing tool.
- Must have good analytical skills and proven experience in analyzing and testing complex business rules.
- Must have knowledge of testing techniques to cover all possible corner cases for testing verification and validation techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff
- Smart, curious, motivated, and honest
- Gherkin/Cucumber Testing Experience
- Writing tests in Selenium
- Familiarity with JUnit
- Experience with Elastic Search or Kafka.
- Experienced with application monitoring strategies and Tools (New Relic, etc)
- Experience working in an Agile Scrum development environment
- Experience with Performance/Load Testing tools.
Here at Angie's List we have an honest, friendly, and fun community. This permeates nearly every interaction that we have with each other, our customers, and our code. It is on that foundation that we have built a world class, cloud-based, event-driven micro-service architecture that serves both our members and service providers across the entirety of the US.
Angie’s List is a part of ANGI Homeservices Inc. (NASDAQ: ANGI), a federation of spirited technology companies that build for a better economy. We turn home improvement jobs imagined into jobs well-done. People throughout North America and Europe rely on our technologies to book quality home service pros across 500 different categories, from repairing and remodeling to cleaning and landscaping. Over 250,000 service professionals find work through ANGI Homeservices and consumers turn to at least one of the brands to find a pro for more than 20 million projects each year. Our marketplaces have enabled more than 150 million consumer-to-pro connections, meaningfully redefining how easily and effectively home pros are discovered and hired.
We have established category-transforming products through the brands HomeAdvisor®, Angie’s List®, Handy and Fixd Repair – as well as international brands HomeStars, MyHammer, MyBuilder, Instapro, Travaux and Werkspot. As a purposeful technology company, we foster a culture of collaboration, and nurture growth through innovation.
If you’re excited about joining a collaborative, high-impact team, send us your resume to start the conversation. If you have questions prior to applying, please join us for one of our weekly chats with the Recruiting team – this is not an interview, but a chance for you to learn more about our business. Visit http://www.abouthomeadvisor.com/talk-to-us to register.