At Hiya we are on a mission to modernize voice with trust, identity, and intelligence. We're protecting everyday people from spam and fraud calls, connecting businesses with their customers, and helping carriers secure their networks for all. In 2015, Hiya founder, Alex Algard, saw the increasing need for innovation in the voice channel and began building the first caller ID and spam blocking apps for mobile while at Whitepages. In early 2016, Hiya spun out of Whitepages and brought its technology to market through Samsung Smart Call, the first-ever network-based spam solution with AT&T, and the Hiya consumer app. Three years later in 2019, we brought Hiya connect to market, a B2B branded call service that enables enterprise companies to connect to the consumers they are trying to reach. The combination of Protect, Connect, and the Hiya app has resulted in the world's largest Voice Performance Platform with over 200M monthly active users.
We are headquartered in Seattle and have offices in London and Budapest. We believe in giving our employees the flexibility they need to thrive. As a result, we have adopted a flexible work model. We do not require our team to be onsite (unless otherwise discussed) however, if individuals would like to be 100% onsite or work a hybrid model we have Covid-19 protocols in place to keep our team safe, we provide catered lunches 2x per week, and parking reimbursement up to 3x per week.
About the Position
The Lead Android Software Engineer is an individual contributor position responsible for designing, developing, and deploying Android software in the forms of mobile SDKs and apps as part of the Partner Solutions team. The Partner Solutions team at Hiya plays a critical role in the distribution of Hiya software from an OEM integration for native dialer apps to SDKs that power carrier integrations. The team is responsible for surfacing our sophisticated ML-informed services, how we protect and identify callers in real time. This role ensures that Hiya's core technology is made available to our ever growing user base quickly and effectively to build and deliver trust in phone calls. Join the team and work alongside experienced mobile developers as we continue to build and ship software at a scale made possible by our partners.
We're excited about working with you because you are the type of person who's unsatisfied with superficial explanations and dives deep to understand the root cause of issues. You dig into projects at a high level of detail and thread the needle of customer needs and technical excellence.
What You’ll Do
- Design, architect, and build software (APKs, AARs) for Android in Kotlin and Java.
- Utilize modern mobile development paradigms to create software for consumption by end-users and other developers.
- Collaborate with different teams such as product management, UI/UX, and backend engineering teams to define, design, and ship new features.
- Contribute across a variety of mobile projects via code-reviews, architecture discussions, and cross-team collaboration.
- Ensure the software we ship is implemented with performance, quality, and responsiveness in mind.
- Work with OEM partners (smartphone manufacturers) to integrate our software at the OS level.
- Provide behind-the-scenes solutions (software, documentation, guides) for external software engineers.
- Add to our roadmap by participating in product ideation, planning, and experimentation.
You will have a fast start if you have experience:
- Working with Kotlin, RxJava, Retrofit and other modern Android development frameworks (such as LiveData, Room, etc)
- Utilizing both Unit and Instrumentation tests as a part of your software engineering practice
- Working in/with the telecommunication industry.
- Working with the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) codebase
- Building, documenting, and integrating 3rd party Android SDKs
The requirements listed in the job descriptions are guidelines. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable we would still love to hear from you.
- Start Date: Immediately
- Status: Full-time (40-45 hours per week)
- Location: Seattle (Preferred) Remote, (USA)
- Department: Engineering
- Reports to: Wilson Bull, Engineering Manager
- Direct Reports: N/A
- Self managed vacation plan
- 8 paid holidays when the office is closed
- 6 company wide recharge days
- 401K program through Fidelity Investments
- Paid parental leave
- 100% covered medical, dental, and vision and 50% coverage for dependents
- Voluntary Life and AD&D, and Accident insurance options
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long-term disability coverage (In qualifying states)
- Donation Matching for a charity of your choice (up to $1,000/ year)
- WFH equipment stipend
- $1,000/year in Professional Development funds
This position is based in Seattle
We are building a team with a variety of perspectives, identities, and professional experiences. We evaluate great candidates through a business lens and we strongly believe that diversity and unique perspectives make our company stronger, more dynamic, and a great place to build a career.
Our team has won various awards over the last 4 years from Built-in Seattle and Seattle Business Week to #86 on Deloitte Technology Fast 500 and Forbes #1 Startup Employer. Here at Hiya, we are a people-centric company focused on helping each and every one of our employees grow both personally and professionally. We feel that creating a team culture of support and empowerment to challenge the status quo results in an energized and passionate team that is continuously challenged and passionate about the work they are doing. You'll love working here if you are looking for an innovative challenge that is disrupting an industry. Come join us!