At Hiya we are on a mission to modernize voice with trust, identity, and intelligence. We're protecting everyday people from spam and fraud calls, connecting businesses with their customers, and helping carriers secure their networks for all. In 2015, Hiya founder, Alex Algard, saw the increasing need for innovation in the voice channel and began building the first caller ID and spam blocking apps for mobile while at Whitepages. In early 2016, Hiya spun out of Whitepages and brought its technology to market through Samsung Smart Call, the first-ever network-based spam solution with AT&T, and the Hiya consumer app. Three years later in 2019, we brought Hiya connect to market, a B2B branded call service that enables enterprise companies to connect to the consumers they are trying to reach. The combination of Protect, Connect, and the Hiya app has resulted in the world's largest Voice Performance Platform with over 200M monthly active users.
We are headquartered in Seattle and have offices in London and Budapest. We believe in giving our employees the flexibility they need to thrive. As a result, we have adopted a flexible work model. We do not require our team to be onsite (unless otherwise discussed) however, if individuals would like to be 100% onsite or work a hybrid model we have Covid-19 protocols in place to keep our team safe, we provide catered lunches 2x per week, and parking reimbursement up to 3x per week.
About the Position
The Backend Engineer is an individual contributor who is responsible for architecting, implementing, and maintaining significant backend systems that serve hundreds of millions of requests per month. This role is with the team that provides high-availability, latency-sensitive capabilities to telecoms, mobile apps, and other partners. In addition, you'll work with engineering teams across Hiya, some in Seattle and some in Europe, to define and deliver shared components and services.
What You’ll Do
- Design, code and operate high performance HTTP services and data processing pipelines on the JVM platform (primarily Scala)
- Work at a supportive and fast-growing startup with a fantastic team, where you can collaborate with and learn from other great team members
- Make an impact in the lives of hundreds of millions of consumers
- Be supported in developing your skills and accelerating your career
- Have the opportunity to mentor and guide junior team members
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Experience or interest in functional programming in a typed setting
- Understanding customer needs first and providing solutions primarily based on that
- A desire to own design and architecture end to end
- A philosophy of iteration and continuous improvement
- 3+ years of experience designing and building RESTful APIs
- 3+ years of experience designing and building event-driven services
- 3+ years of experience designing and building services that meet strict operational SLAs
- Experience with *nix
- A preference for velocity over perfection
- A commitment to respectful and impactful collaboration
You will have a fast start if you have:
- Experience building and maintaining HTTP APIs that support 10s of thousands of requests per second, especially using the JVM
- Deep experience with networking, queues, stream processing, and caching
- Experience working with telecommunications protocols like SIP
- Experience with Scala, AWS, Kubernetes
The requirements listed in the job descriptions are guidelines. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable we would still love to hear from you.
- Start Date: Immediately
- Status: Full-time (40-45 hours per week)
- Location: Hybrid
- Department: Engineering, Edge Services
- Reports to: David Sitte, Director of Engineering
- Direct Reports: None
- Self managed vacation plan
- 8 paid holidays when the office is closed
- 6 company wide recharge days
- 401K program through Fidelity Investments
- Paid parental leave
- 100% covered medical, dental, and vision and 50% coverage for dependants
- Voluntary Life and AD&D, and Accident insurance options
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long-term disability coverage (In qualifying states)
- Donation Matching for a charity of your choice (up to $1,000/ year)
- WFH equipment stipend
- $1,000/year in Professional Development funds
This position is based in Seattle, Washington
We are building a team with a variety of perspectives, identities, and professional experiences. We evaluate great candidates through a business lens and we strongly believe that diversity and unique perspectives make our company stronger, more dynamic, and a great place to build a career.
Our team has won various awards over the last 4 years from Built-in Seattle and Seattle Business Week to #86 on Deloitte Technology Fast 500 and Forbes #1 Startup Employer. Here at Hiya, we are a people-centric company focused on helping each and every one of our employees grow both personally and professionally. We feel that creating a team culture of support and empowerment to challenge the status quo results in an energized and passionate team that is continuously challenged and passionate about the work they are doing. You'll love working here if you are looking for an innovative challenge that is disrupting an industry. Come join us!