Senior Data Engineer
We believe that mobile voice calls should be secure, engaging, and protected from fraud and robocalls. We believe the phone app is the most outdated app on your smartphone, and that the mobile network - as the largest communications network of any kind - urgently needs a trust and identity layer. You should know who’s calling you and why! You should get the calls that are relevant to you (at that time) and none of the ones that aren’t. Hiya is building the modern layer for the voice experience. We already serve over 150M users worldwide directly through our apps and in partnership with smartphone makers like Samsung and mobile carriers like AT&T. Are you ready to join our engineering team on the road to help us serve 1B users?
We are hiring a Senior Data engineer to join our Data Platform team in Budapest, implementing and maintaining our data pipelines and tooling for spam-detection and analytics. These pipelines are the core of our service protecting more than 10M users, scalability and reliability are of utmost importance.
In this role, you'll:
- Be designing, coding and operating mission-critical data processing pipelines on a combination of Apache Spark and other JVM based platforms (primarily Scala)
- Understand our entire data stack from Spark through Kafka to Scala/Akka components
- Look for generic yet not overly-complex solutions, with an eye on cost-efficiency
- Build and operate world-class data services in the field of phone fraud detection, having the chance to create an impact on the lives of tens of millions of consumers daily
- Be part of a team where your desire to grow and learn is valued and aptly rewarded; where you are empowered to make yourself and your team more productive every day; where using and contributing to open source are looked upon as an asset; where innovating and executing are core to your teams' beliefs
You don't have to check all the boxes, but we think these are important requirements for this role:
- Experience building highly scalable and -available ETL solutions based on the Apache Spark ecosystem
- A desire to own design and architecture end to end
- You already worked with various big-data technologies (Redshift, Athena, Zeppelin, etc.)
- Being fluent in typed functional programming (especially in Scala)
- Having experience with stream processing and scaling techniques (caching, message queues, eventual consistency, etc.)
- Familiarity with modern deployment environments (AWS, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Passion for analyzing data for insights
- Proficient at collaborating and communicating with both local and remote team members in English and Hungarian
Hiya is a fast-growing startup that offers a team of dynamic and experienced executives at the helm, and a hardworking team of international colleagues at your side. We value getting things done for our customers and consistently improving ourselves and products along the way.
Hiya is committed to diversity and inclusion. We desire to build a team with diverse perspectives, identities, and professional experiences. It’s our intention to evaluate each candidate exclusively on the merits of their skills, competencies, and contribution to the organization.
Hiya is an equal opportunity employer. We value and embrace diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability status.
This position is based in Budapest,