Executive Editor, Digital Operations
HistoryNet seeks a talented senior digital editorial leader to rapidly grow the social media, web and mobile audience across our portfolio of history verticals. The role is pivotal to shape and execute HistoryNet’s digital growth and expansion strategy. The Executive Editor, Digital Operations will collaborate with the team of editors optimize all of our brands for increased traffic and web/mobile/social presence.
The position requires an exceptional understanding of social media, paid media, mobile media and data.
The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of digital media strategies and tactics across multiple platforms. Experience with analytic tools such as Google Analytics and Facebook Insights is a must. A knowledge of and passion for history is a huge plus, and affinity for this market will be an expectation. This is a unique opportunity to play a lead role in informing and executing our growth strategy.
- Updating web/mobile site, managing our social media, producing newsletters, editing wire copy and writing strong, effective and compelling web/mobile/social headlines
- Identify best opportunities to reach our audiences in a shifting digital media landscape, with focus on social media outreach, video traffic optimization and web/mobile viewership growth
- Develop and identify ways to amplify and adapt our best work to multiple platforms. Expand our distribution strategy to multiple new and emerging platforms
- Work with and supervise our director of editorial analytics to develop measurement tools and utilize data in real-time to boost traffic and drive decision-making and evaluations
- Collaborate, communicate and work in cohesive, consultative fashion with editors and reporters throughout our newsroom to drive digital growth and awareness
- Collaborate with our broader interdisciplinary team to develop digital strategies for our brands and growth initiatives
- Establish and direct best practices for social media and headline writing that can be distributed across the editorial group to improve our reach, distribution and click rate. Serve as a digital leader by pushing new social media strategies and platforms and serving as an advocate for high-quality, fun and edgy headlines and content
- Establish and execute a strategy for growing our newsletter audience and increasing our newsletter volume in traffic and titles
- Editing and posting of stories to our websites and on social media. This is a hands-on position that also edits digital work as/when needed.
- Monitor and analyze our chief competitors and innovative digital media and use findings to shape and improve our content and digital strategies
- Managing and developing special content partnerships with other relevant media of integrity
- Developing campaigns for digital and social media editorial promotion of our brands’ special reports, special projects and topical/cultural channels
Required Skills and Experience:
- 5-plus years of social digital media experience. Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism
- Strong multi-tasking and attention to detail
- Exceptional collaborative and communication skills
- Fluency in major social media networks, with an active presence on them. Solid proficiency with analytics tools and software (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights etc)
- Understanding of data visualization techniques (e.g. scatterplot, etc.)
- Expert knowledge in the various forms of content distribution. Solid understanding of the complex web ecosystems, best practices and applying this knowledge to their work
- Proficiency with web-based business applications (Google Docs, relationship and workflow management software)
- Ability to change direction and operate in a fast-paced, high tempo, entrepreneurial environment
High degree of energy, initiative, innovation, sense of humor, positive attitude, and passion for social media