Title: Accounting Manager, Spinnaker
Location: Bedminster, NJ
Reporting To: Corporate Controller, Spinnaker
Spinnaker is a national property and casualty insurance company rated A- VIII by A.M., that is a wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance. With the capability to offer admitted and surplus lines insurance products in 50 states and jurisdictions, Spinnaker partners with program administrators and managing general agents to offer strategic insurance solutions. We target innovative product market leaders across both personal and commercial lines, specialty lines, and traditional and non-standard fronting opportunities.
We are currently recruiting an Accounting Manager, who will work in a fast-paced cross-functional capacity. You will work closely with the Company’s Finance, Underwriting, and Claims teams and be exposed to all facets of an insurance company’s operations. This position reports to the Corporate Controller.
What You’ll Do:
- Work collaboratively with cross functional departments to improve financial reporting and provide support to the business.
- Perform and manage the GAAP (SEC) and Statutory financial statement close process in accordance with the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close calendar in coordination with Spinnaker, Hippo, and external consultants for multiple subsidiaries.
- Perform and manage the program financial reporting process. Prepare, review, and/or approve monthly program journal entries for direct and ceded program business.
- Work proactively with underwriters, claims, program administrators, reinsurance brokers, and reinsurers to resolve reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Review and interpret reinsurance contracts (Quota Share, Excess of Loss (“XOL”), facultative) and propose and implement appropriate accounting treatment.
- Prepare and review quarterly and annual GAAP and Statutory financial statements, footnotes, and schedules.
- Coordinate external audits, regulatory examinations, and prepare responses to comment letters.
- Research technical GAAP and Statutory accounting literature, prepare and maintain accounting position memos and policies, and prepare and maintain standard operating procedures.
- Oversee the internal control environment ensuring appropriate design and operating effectiveness.
- Support treasury and cash management functions including accounts payable.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with third parties including reinsurance partners, program administrators and managing general agents, third party vendors.
- Perform financial compliance duties associated with annual and ongoing filing processes across 50 states.
- Assist on special projects and other duties as assigned by management.
- Identify and rollout best practices to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting and financial reporting function.
- Support implementation and operational procedures related to SOX 404.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- 4+ years in finance and accounting roles (public accounting or private)
- Expert knowledge of US GAAP accounting principles
- Advanced Excel skills and experience with financial reporting systems
Nice to Haves
- Experience with accessing data from databases
- Property & casualty insurance industry
- Expert knowledge of Insurance US Statutory accounting principles
- Understanding of insurance financial operations including underwriting, claims, and reinsurance
- Experience working with Managing General Agents, Program Administrators, and Claims Third Party Administrators
- Experienced with ceded reinsurance accounting, Schedule F, and Schedule P
- Experience with NetSuite
- SOX experience
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, life insurance, long & short-term disability, EAP and flexible spending.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Little Hippos Program- We offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary/secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Habitat- Fast-paced, close-knit, office located in Bedminster, NJ
Spinnaker is a wholly owned, but independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.