Infra Engineering Manager
Location: Austin, TX
Hippo is a hyper-growth startup that is taking the market by storm. Our technology first approach is modernizing the otherwise stale home insurance industry, from IOT monitoring devices to our industry leading software. Led by a strong team of passionate business and technology veterans, we're rapidly expanding by inviting great engineers to join our talented, close knit team here in the Bay Area.
We're looking for a talented Infra Eng Manager to help us grow the product line and expand across the United States. An ideal candidate brings leadership, maturity and a deep understanding of the software development life cycle.
You understand and value written communication and know how to write a tech-design and communicate clearly with stakeholders across an engineering organization. You can drive projects from concept to completion while narrowing down the requirements and understanding the pros/cons of each solution. You are passionate about delivering micro-services to production, scaling them, monitoring them, enabling the business and all of its moving parts. You can debug issues in distributed systems, "hunting" down logs, metrics and signals from multiple places. Are able to lead a small team while being hands on.
You will be responsible for building a world-class scalable and resilient infrastructure team that runs the Hippo platform. Making developers productive by providing build tools, metrics, CI/CD processes and more. You'll have the opportunity to work with multiple cloud providers, databases, open source tools such as Terraform and Vault, Kubernetes, Docker, and others. You will use Golang, Python, and other scripting languages like bash on a daily basis, building and scaling tools, APIs, and server-less functions.
What You'll Do
- Work with product-development team to improve the reliability of their applications* Advocate for best-practices of running and deploying resilient, falt-tolerant, and scalable applications
- Collaborate with leadership to improve SRE processes and tools
- Communicate the status of support issues and manage the lifecycle of alert-to-resolution
- Evaluate and diagnose issues with AWS, Kubernetes, GCP, networking, databases, and all other aspects of the application deployment environment.
- Improve and scale the existing products and tools
- Balance team priorities, ensuring the the team effectively completes long term efforts while managing technical debt and short term concerns
- Assist in recruiting and hiring processes
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Site reliability / DevOps experience as an IC, with proven-track record of running and deploying complex services
- Experience with AWS, and/or GCP
- Containerization - Docker, ECS, Kubernetes experience
- Python/Django, Golang experience
- Proven success recruiting, hiring, and on-boarding new developers
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all! Historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.