Hippo is looking for a Manager of Technical Accounting and SEC reporting to join our team!
Named one of the top startups to watch, Hippo is a Palo Alto based, Series E Unicorn company leading the modernization of the home protection industry, which hasn’t innovated in many years. We use technology to create modernized, customer-centric home insurance and proactive maintenance services. We take our hyper-focus on customer satisfaction (buyer simplicity, comprehensive coverage, concierge service) a step further, by offering IoT Smart Home devices for monitoring home health. These devices, together with numerous other data sources (like aerial imagery and predictive actuarial data) allow us to proactively address problems before homeowners even know about them. Our Net Promoter Score (NPS) is consistently 3x those of large insurers.
Hippo is solving complex engineering, compliance, regulatory and operational problems that have immediate impact on this antiquated industry. We're on a strong (but responsible) growth trajectory, with a proven and recession-proof set of products.
About This Role
The role will play an integral part in Hippo’s success and will be part of a technical savvy accounting team and will be Manager of Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting. In this role you will have the unique opportunity to roll up the sleeves and build the external reporting process from the ground up, support building Hippo’s accounting policies and work on complex transactions by teaming with Legal and Business teams from negotiation to close. This position reports to our Entity Controller and Director of Reporting and will be located in Palo Alto. Insurance industry GAAP experience is a prerequisite.
You have a proven history of providing technical accounting and reporting processes at or to public companies or have built this process in a private company leading to S-1 S-1/IPO/SEC process. You have provided accounting guidance / treatment for complex business transactions. This is an ideal role for a person who is accustomed to rolling up their sleeves to get things done while also having a significant contribution to big picture strategy. Your days are spent supporting accounting and reporting for transactions, business operations are in line with USGAAP, and also able to interact with external auditors and advisors.
- Develop and maintain the financial reporting function including eventual creation of 10-Q's, 10-K's, proxy statements, earnings releases and other forms of SEC financial reports
- Prepare and coordinate all internal financial reporting, quarterly and annual reports, including the information gathering process and once public - required SEC filings
- Responsible for the compilation of financial statements, footnotes, management’s discussion and analysis and all other components of SEC filings, once public
- Be a trusted business partner and advisor to various stakeholders within Finance and Accounting and across the company including Legal, Business and Insurance
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls in relation to the Financial Reporting process
- Be a point person for all external reporting
Technical Accounting & Accounting Policy
- Establish, develop and maintain Hippo’s Accounting Policies
- Oversee the technical accounting function including all significant transactions; identifying, analyzing and applying technical guidance, documenting accounting memos, and providing training to internal Finance and Accounting group
- Monitor, assess and implement new accounting pronouncements applicable to the company and proactively partner with stakeholders to analyze the impact on the operational and/or financial performance of the company
- Review stock-based compensation activities, including underlying assumptions and related expenses in compliance with authoritative guidance.
- Responsible for the reporting of all equity based transactions, equity schedules and footnotes disclosures for SEC filings, along with support from the stock administrator
- Be a proactive liaison with external auditors to drive timely closure of technical accounting matters and the annual audits
- Manage outside tax advisors to prepare quarterly tax provision, annual returns, and ensure compliance with Federal and State tax laws
- Manage technical accounting research and implement conclusions in day to day accounting operations
- Assist with compiling information for Sarbanes Oxley testing and compliance
- Active CPA with 5+ years of progressive experience in a technical accounting and financial reporting role
- Combination of private industry and public accounting experience; Big 4 experience preferred
- Prior experience designing, implementing, and documenting policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of U.S. GAAP, including ability to research accounting literature, establish a position and develop procedures for implementation
- Ability to interpret complex technical guidance and effectively present the Company’s accounting position both in written and verbal form
- Ability to hire, develop and retain a high-performing team
- Strong project management skills, ability to work independently and multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Excellent Excel/spreadsheet skills, competency with MSWord and PowerPoint
- Technical proficiency with one or more corporate financial/enterprise software packages. Hands-on experience with NetSuite is a plus
- Team player, works well within a group, happy to take on responsibilities outside your role when needed
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to understand the business
Compensation and Perks
- Fun offices located in Palo Alto, CA
- Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s
- Flexible, uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Full time salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, ltd, std, EAP, and flexible spending accounts
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.