Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We strive to provide them with nothing less than the best policies, best value and best customer service in the industry. And this is just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from having problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use. This approach is clearly resonating with people. Hippo has grown 25% a month over the past year, has a customer satisfaction score more than double the industry average and insures more than $50B in property value.
We’re looking for the very best talent in the world to help us continue to find new ways of fundamentally redefining the role insurance plays in people’s lives.
About This Role
We are are looking for a VP Underwriting and Product to lead its growing team. This person needs to have the ability to establish a vision while overseeing the daily operations and functionality of the underwriting, insurance product and IoT devices verticals. They will provide leadership around financial investment, state launch schedules, insurance product offerings, agency partnerships, marketing, and business development.
- Subject Matter Expert: At least fifteen (15) years of Property and Casualty Insurance experience in an underwriting and/or product role
- Entrepreneur: work on the creation of new and emerging products for rapid entry into new markets.
- Digital Native: Creating automation is music to your ears and you know how to leverage it to scale - drive process innovation through application of new technology to the underwriting process resulting in underwriting efficiency, company profitability and growth in sales.
- Driven: Confidence in your skillset, desire to learn more and ability to make an impact Provide leadership to others that drives underwriting process improvement whether through technology, outsourcing or internal innovations.
- Problem Solver: No problem is too big or too small for your to solve and you leverage analytics to influence others
- Collaborator: Team doesn't have the letter I in it
- Player Coach: Ability to pivot between establishing the vision and coaching the lean team in your vertical
- Drive underwriting excellence and lead the execution of the company's underwriting strategic vision.
- Set priorities, targets, standards and metrics for underwriting guidelines, accountabilities and programs; review and evaluate program performance; and provide feedback and calibrate as needed.
- Operate as a change agent and catalyst for modernization and digital thinking; provide strategic insights and fresh solutions to improve and enhance results. ·
- Champion and work with the IT systems team to develop automated Underwriting capabilities that will result in minimal manual intervention for the process.
- Develop and manage underwriting optimization techniques
- Product review and approval of all current and future state regulatory filings
- Product innovation, including cutting edge research on loss prevention and mitigation techniques
- Collaboration with claims to ensure claims process improvement, customer claims advocacy, and net promoter score
- Ongoing support of the policy administration system
- Seamless and simple system integrations
- Hiring and developing a team of underwriters, product, IoT / Smart Home professionals
Compensation and Perks
- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain
- Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s
- Onsite gym
- Flexible, uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Full time salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Full paid benefits for you and your family including medical, dental, vision, ltd, std, EAP, and flexible spending accounts
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.