Role: Senior Billing Operations Analyst
Location: Bedminster, New Jersey
Reports To: Controller (Spinnaker)
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We strive to provide them with nothing less than the best policies, best value and best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from having problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
This approach is clearly resonating with people. Hippo has grown 25% a month over the past year, has a customer satisfaction score more than double the industry average and insures more than $50B in property value. We’re looking for the very best talent in the world to help us continue to find new ways of fundamentally redefining the role insurance plays in people’s lives.
In this light, as of September 1, 2020, Hippo and Spinnaker Insurance have joined forces to build a whole new type of insurance company – forging a new path in the insurance industry.
Based in New Jersey, Spinnaker is a national property and casualty insurance company rated A- by A.M. Best Company; and is a wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance. With the capability to offer admitted insurance products in 50 states and jurisdictions, Spinnaker utilizes program administrators and managing general agents to access niche markets, focusing on personal lines, specialty lines, and fronted opportunities.
About This Role
We are recruiting for a full-time Billing Operations Analyst, working in an intimate and fast-paced cross-functional capacity at our Spinnaker Insurance office in Bedminster, New Jersey. You will provide analytical and quantitative support for financial analysis, management reporting, reinsurer reporting, and other monthly and quarterly close tasks. The position will be instrumental in streamlining the Company’s insurance monthly account reconciliation and reporting operations.
On a daily basis, you will work closely with the Company’s Finance, Underwriting, and Claims teams and be exposed to all facets of an insurance company’s operations. This position will report to the Corporate Controller.
You are passionate about driving impact and solving complex business problems. You are intellectually curious and always looking to go a layer deeper without losing sight of larger strategic outcomes. You are a confident business partner who is not afraid to be a driving voice in the room.
You possess strong strategic and analytical skills, including the ability to review, digest, and analyze complex information in a timely manner and you’re obsessed about communicating business insights in a structured and effective manner.
And you’re always ahead of the game.
Your values and MO:
- High standards of trust, integrity and accountability
- Do what you say will do
- Disciplined around deliverables, timelines and commitments
- Honest and transparent about knowledge gaps and mistakes
- Growth mindset
- Willingness to push yourself beyond your comfort zone and accept new challenges
- Open to feedback; seeking to continuously improve, develop and innovate
- Execution driven
- Strong bias to action; get stuff done
- Inherent sense of urgency and resilience; you will find a way to deliver
- Comfort with a fast-paced, intense, always-on environment
- Nimble; able to multitrack and make fast transitions
- True team player
- Humble and respectful
- No ego
- One for all, all for one
- Responsible for bordereau production. Ensure internal consistency of data received from Program Administrators/Managing General Agents (“PAs”), and TPAs. Provide accurate program summaries and reconciliations to Finance. Actively communicate and interact with PAs and reinsurance partners to resolve any discrepancies.
- Provide monthly production data to the IT function. Track and resolve the discrepancy between the raw data provided by PAs and data warehouse.
- Manage the collection and settlement of outstanding balances due to/from the Company. This includes Reinsurer, Program Administrator, and Vendor payable and receivables.
- Calculate the monthly settlement amount per program and reconcile any differences.
- Review and interpret reinsurance contracts and provide calculation for the profit commissions and portfolio transfers to the Finance and Underwriting Departments as well as the brokers.
- Heavily involved in reinsurance system and data warehouse system deployment. Reconcile and analyze related accounts to source systems.
- Review monthly loss run and prepare IBNR loss estimates in conjunction with the Underwriting and Claims Departments. Work with these departments to identify any unusual loss developments.
- Coordinate and maintain the collateral requirements with brokers.
- Coordination with outside departments to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Maintain positive relationships with, and appropriately represent, the Company to all our stakeholders.
- Assist on special projects and other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Accounting, Finance, Business, Math, Computer Science, Actuarial Science, Engineering, Information Systems, Risk Management, or similar.
- Advanced MS Excel skills capable of creating complex reports, templates, process workflows and checklists, and settlement statements; ability to review and efficiently identify data errors, cleans data, sort, quantify and create reports for internal and external analysis.
- Ability to perform substantial research assignments using industry standard tools.
- Experience working with MGAs, MGUs, PAs and TPAs is preferred
- Understanding of insurance operations including underwriting, claims, and reinsurance is preferred
- Aptitude for evaluating and understanding insurance and re/insurance contract wording is preferred
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage time and multitask
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact with co-workers, management, and internal/external customers
- Excellent PC skills; must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Access, Excel and SQL (PivotTables & VLOOKUPS, etc.)
- Strong analytical, problem solving and technical skills
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to help others solve problems
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
Compensation and Perks
- Fast-paced, close-knit, office located in Bedminster, NJ
- Flexible, uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Full time salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, ltd, std, EAP, and flexible spending accounts
- Fun, start-up environment -- casual dress, events, etc.
Spinnaker is a wholly owned but independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.