Role: Actuarial Analyst
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Reports To: Associate, Actuarial and Insurance Product
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Our fresh approach to home insurance clearly resonates with people. Hippo has grown 25% a month over the past year, has a customer satisfaction score more than double the industry average, and insures more than $90B in property value. We’re seeking the most passionate and skilled talent to redefine the role insurance plays in people’s lives.
You are creative, self-motivated, and eager to tackle problems in a fast-paced startup environment. You have a strong understanding of the techniques utilized in the actuarial and insurance industry - and are eager to innovate or challenge them. You’re able to identify and balance solving the long-term vs. short-term goals of the company by leveraging data-driven results. You are a highly effective communicator and have the ability to define processes that are modern and robust.
- Assist in the development and execution of pricing and underwriting profitability reviews. This includes extensive statistical insurance reviews that require analysis of trends, factors, issues, competitive analysis, and rate level indications for use in pricing and underwriting.
- Utilize modern statistical modeling and data science techniques with internal/external data to identify drivers of loss cost, frequency, and severity to help influence pricing and underwriting decisions.
- Provide support for existing portfolio and expansion plans - both in geography and product - through analytics in product design, portfolio management techniques, and rate filings.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to help develop enhanced reporting models and metrics to better monitor portfolio trends and loss drivers.
- Lead periodic reviews and deliver insights for different stakeholders (including indications, product development, and reserving).
- Use technology to make these processes efficient and scalable in a growing, lean company.
- 2-4 years of professional experience in an actuarial related role.
- Strong research, statistical, analytical, and mathematical skills with ability to conduct analysis on limited and/or unstructured data.
- Understanding of actuarial and insurance concepts such as trends, indications, loss cost modeling, reserving and other key metrics.
- Strong SQL and Excel skills are required.
- Experience with R or Python is preferred.
- Demonstrate project management and problem-solving skills.
Compensation and Perks
- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain
- Stocked kitchen
- Flexible, uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Full time salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Full paid benefits for you and your family including medical, dental, vision, ltd, std, EAP, and flexible spending accounts
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.