Role: Analyst, Strategic Finance
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes, to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Our fresh approach to home insurance clearly resonates with people. Hippo has grown 25% a month over the past year, has a customer satisfaction score more than double the industry average, and insures more than $90B in property value. We’re seeking the most passionate and skilled talent to redefine the role insurance plays in people’s lives.
About The Role
We’re hiring for a financial analyst who will be one of the early members of a fast-growing, and impactful Strategic Finance team, partnering across the business to drive value by finding actionable insights in our finances and data.
This is a multifaceted role where you will have the opportunity to support the business across a variety of stakeholders performing a multitude of functions. Your mandate will include producing high-quality reporting for leadership, performing best-in-class analyses to forecast our business and providing guidance on initiatives that impact business performance.
You will provide leadership with insights into their business and you will support them in achieving and exceeding their long and short terms objectives.
This is a highly visible and cross-functional role where you will have a significant opportunity to drive the culture and tone through your thought leadership.
You are passionate about driving impact and solving complex business problems. You are intellectually curious and always looking to go a layer deeper without losing sight of larger strategic outcomes. You are a confident business partner who is not afraid to be a driving voice in the room.
You possess strong strategic and analytical skills, including the ability to review, digest, and analyze complex information in a timely manner and you’re obsessed about communicating business insights in a structured and effective manner.
And you’re always ahead of the game.
Your values and MO:
- High standards of trust, integrity and accountability
- Do what you say will do
- Disciplined around deliverables, timelines and commitments
- Honest and transparent about knowledge gaps and mistakes
- Growth mindset
- Willingness to push yourself beyond your comfort zone and accept new challenges
- Open to feedback; seeking to continuously improve, develop and innovate
- Execution driven
- Strong bias to action; get stuff done
- Inherent sense of urgency and resilience; you will find a way to deliver
- Comfort with a fast-paced, intense, always-on environment
- Nimble; able to multitrack and make fast transitions
- True team player
- Humble and respectful
- No ego
- One for all, all for one
- Support end-to-end planning and execution of the long term strategic plan and the Annual Operating Plan
- Support key financial processes, including reporting, forecasting, budgeting, ROI based resource allocation, internal and external benchmarking
- Prepare financial reporting packages with deep and relevant insights to various stakeholders: leadership, employees, board, and investors
- Apply an analytical approach to influence strategic decision-making, including capital allocation decisions and long-term financial planning
- Develop metrics to track team-specific and company-wide trends, identify opportunities, provide recommendations, and collaborate across all levels
- Analyze the market and the competitive landscape: trends across segments and sub-segments, detailed competitive analyses etc.
- 2-4 years of experience in finance, banking, consulting or strategy in high-visibility settings
- Strong analytical skills, an ability to perform complex modeling in Microsoft Excel, SQL query writing and an understanding of data warehouse models will be critical to this role
- Excellent communication skills and comfort in distilling complex concepts and analyses to business partners will be key to success
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment and ability to both influence and develop strong relationships across the organization
- Exceptional business judgment with the ability to create sound frameworks to drive towards decisions and organizational alignment
- Strong business intuition with the ability to understand stakeholder psychology; ability to read between the lines of both quantitative and qualitative research
Compensation and Perks
- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5-minute walk from Caltrain
- Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s
- Flexible, uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Full time salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, ltd, std, EAP, and flexible spending accounts
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.