Hippo is a hyper-growth Unicorn startup that is taking the market by storm. Our technology-first approach is modernizing the homeownership and insurance industry, from IoT monitoring devices to proactive home protection and our industry-leading cloud software. Led by a strong team of passionate business and technology veterans, we're rapidly expanding by inviting great engineers to join our talented, close knit team here in Palo Alto.
We're looking for a talented Senior Data Engineer to help expand our data warehouse and supercharge our data analysis capabilities. An ideal candidate brings curiosity, a passion for data, and a deep understanding of the technologies behind data pipelines, warehousing, big data and analytics. Prior startup experience and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment is a big plus.
- Integrate new data sources into our data warehouse (RDS and BigQuery)
- Maintain and expand the data warehouse offerings using a combination of SQL, code, and scheduled jobs
- Connect our data with data analysis tools like Tableau, Looker, Data Studio, and others
- Work with business partners in finance and insurance underwriting to build executive dashboards that help monitor business health
- Proactively identify places where we can improve our data pipelines
- Plan and develop machine learning models that directly affect our business and software
- 3+ years of work experience experience with advanced knowledge of SQL databases or cloud SQL platforms
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical field
- Experience with a dashboard/BI tools like Tableau or Looker
- Experience with configuring and using at least one big data platform (e.g. Google BigQuery, Amazon RedShift or Athena) for data analysis
- Understanding of using data to reconcile financial models
- Collaborative, empathetic, cares about the team and the development and enablement of others
- Prior startup experience
- Experience with running cloud-scheduled tasks using a platform like Amazon Lambda, Kubernetes (cron)
- Experience with cloud storage like Google Cloud Storage or Amazon s3. Understanding of FTP and file transfer
- Fluency with command line tools and/or Linux shell scripting
- Understanding of data security and user data privacy
- Developing and training machine learning models - a big plus
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known