Director of Site Reliability & Service Engineering
About the company
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Hims and Hers is a health and wellness brand built around the vision of making healthcare accessible for all, regardless of gender, insurance status, or location. Since launching in November 2017, we’ve raised over $200MM in funding and are one of the fastest growing direct-to-consumer brands in history. Our mission is to make it easier for people to gain access to care and treatment for the conditions that impact their day-to-day lives, helping them to look better, feel better, and stay healthy. Come be a part of a team shifting the healthcare paradigm and putting the end users first, making it easier than ever to look and feel your best day in and day out!
About the role
The Director of Site Reliability and Service Engineering will be responsible for creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive team environment with high technical standards and a passion for operational excellence. This position requires someone with a high degree of organization skills and technical acumen; someone who can balance tactical execution with strategic thinking in a hypergrowth environment.
Hims is an exciting company with first year growing pains and tenth year growth. You will be responsible for hiring, mentoring and growing the team to keep pace with our aggressive product roadmaps and corporate growth, while working with your peers to ensure we have a psychologically safe environment for everyone to be able to bring their best selves to work. This is a ground floor opportunity, the SRSE team today is lean and needs to grow rapidly and dramatically to meet the challenges and opportunities ahead. You will have a huge part in shaping the team culture, environment, and future of the organization as we move from a small group of distributed folks to a high performance and inclusive culture at scale.
In this role you will actively shape the discipline and culture of Site Reliability & Service Engineering at Hims. We do not believe in "bringing software development principles to operations', instead we believe SRSE is a skilled discipline unto itself, and will work closely with engineering to ensure what we build, and how we build it take into account the operational realities of the world. We are keenly interested in understanding how to bring resilience engineering principles to operations. Come lead the way! In this role you will report directly to the CT&PO of Hims & Hers.
Who You Are
- You care personally about the growth, engagement and well being of everyone on your team and are also continuously working on your own personal and technical growth
- Have deep technical expertise in systems architecture, API design, systems security, monitoring, deployment and operational excellence
- Have high technical standards and pride in your work
- You pragmatically balancing the engineering effort against long term value
- Believe strongly in dashboarding, monitoring, and illuminating what is happening inside the machine
- You love working with development teams collaboratively to ensure we make the right tradeoffs between resilience, automation, and human interaction in our software designs and implementations
- Are a firm believer in automated testing, CI/CD, Containers and automated deployments
- You are detail oriented and enjoy streamlining development to production processes
- You are product driven in nature with a passion for driving company vision/mission to align teams, critical resources, management, and stakeholders
- Believe in iterative development, A/B testing and learning as we go
You will be responsible for
- Building out a team of SRSEs and defining the culture and base principles of the SRSE function at Hims
- Ensuring your team works collaboratively and closely with development to build robust solutions that appropriately use graceful degradation, automation, and human interaction to provide an exceptional user experience for our customers
- The identification, resolution, and learning from operational surprises (in strong partnership with your engineering peers)
- The monitoring, alerting, and reporting infrastructure of all hims and hers systems and services. You will own the eyes and ears of the business and will ensure they are highly accurate, robust, and provide actionable insights.
To apply, please send your resume and a short blurb about your badass self to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hims is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Hims considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance