Hims and Hers is a health and wellness brand built to make healthcare accessible for all, regardless of gender, insurance status, or location. Since launching in November 2017, we’ve raised over $200MM in funding and are one of the fastest growing direct-to-consumer brands in history. Our mission is to make it easier for people to gain access to care and treatment for the conditions that impact their day-to-day lives, whether that is finding the right birth control, addressing hair loss or skin care issues, or treating a low libido.
Based in San Francisco, the VP Communications will report to hims & hers Chief Marketing Officer, with regular interface with Founder/CEO. This individual will serve as the chief architect of the corporate communications model that will evangelize the company’s mission to internal and external stakeholders. They will be responsible for corporate communications, public relations, public affairs, issues management, and executive communications. They will build strong relationships and deploy strategies that will grow consumer awareness, trust, and brand loyalty.
The VP, Communications will provide proactive, strategic counsel to the executive team on all communications initiatives. You will form critical relationships not only with the consumer community, but also with lobbying firms, city and state elected officials, and help navigate the evolving area of pharmaceutical law.
- Design, build and lead a world class corporate communications organization with a focus on establishing best-in-class processes for the function and systematizing the way Hims communicates with internal and external stakeholders.
- Refine and highlight the Hims story as a hugely consumer centric organization, with a focus on trust, reliability, and innovation at its core
- Educate stakeholders about Hims’ value proposition and complex business model
- Effectively manage Hims’ position in the telehealth industry, and build relationships with elected officials, lobbyists and other key stakeholders; managing communications strategies across multiple geographies and levels of legislation
- Create a roadmap for crisis communications:
- Successfully navigate and mitigate any crises that arise; exhibit excellent judgment and confidence, based on experience
- Proactively prepare crisis communications plans to address a variety of stakeholders; credibly advise senior leaders
- Develop new and nurture existing content creation strategies that advance passion, trust and enthusiasm for the Hims brand; generate PR results that meaningfully build the reputation of the company, its products and its management.
- Build a strong yet lean communications team that employs excellent judgment and discipline when supporting the corporate narrative
- Manage and guide the efforts of an external PR agency
- Set all Hims corporate and executive communications agendas; create the calendar for corporate participation in external engagement opportunities and prepare spokespeople for media interaction and public appearances
- At least 10 years of experience in corporate communications and public relations, with significant experience in fast paced, consumer facing companies
- A passion for the Hims brand and excitement to build a brand across multiple categories
- Extremely high consumer empathy
- Outstanding and concise written and verbal communication skills, and excellent storytelling experience
- Demonstrable ability to manage crisis communications as well as reducing risk through effective scenario planning and preparation
- Ability to leverage media campaigns and content creation to generate increased awareness and interest for Hims as a trusted brand to a wide range of customers and stakeholders
- Ability to navigate a communications strategy within a highly regulated industry; fluency with public policy and government affairs
- Ability to see the bigger picture and use creativity to innovate in the new media landscape
- Ability to partner effectively with external resources, but also roll up the sleeves and manage the details
- A highly collaborative, flexible and adaptable style, with strong diplomatic and influencing skills
- Superior conceptual and critical thinking skills