High Alpha Innovation partners with corporations to help them produce tangible innovation through startup creation. Part strategy consultancy, part venture capital firm, our team is a diverse mix of highly-experienced company builders, designers, and strategists who work with corporate partners to source, launch, and invest in themed venture studios and startups.
We are seeking a Managing Director to lead High Alpha Innovation’s newest venture studio. As the studio’s first Managing Director and full-time leader, the candidate will co-create the studio’s vision, strategy and priorities with the High Alpha Innovation leadership team, help us grow the team, and execute the vision. The Managing Director will lead teams in the development of 2-3 new startups each year using High Alpha Innnovation’s business design process--while managing a team of project managers, designers, business analysts, and functional experts. Through this work the Managing Director will play a critical role in creating a culture of collaboration and impact.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience in entrepreneurship as well as deep connections among investors, entrepreneurs, and practitioners. In addition the ideal candidate will be an inspirational leader who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a passion for innovation and entrepreneurship, and a business style that is scrappy, strategic, creative, team-oriented, hands-on, and collaborative.
This is a very senior role, with a high degree of national visibility, and the opportunity for the right candidate to leverage his or her extensive network to create massive value through systematic building of startups. We have the playbook for rapid venture creation at High Alpha Innovation; we are looking for a candidate with the right mix of industry experience and connections to help us deploy the playbook effectively in this space.
What You'll Do:
- Build, grow, and lead a team of 10-12 business builders
- Generate and collect ideas for innovative new ventures
- Deploy and refine the High Alpha Innovation playbook to launch 2-3 new startups/year
- Source entrepreneurs to help lead new startups launched out of the studio
- Develop and nurture relationships with corporate and funding partners while gaining alignment on their complex business needs
- Lead problem structuring, analysis, and synthesis
- Lead the development of hypotheses that will inform studio and startup design
- Develop and execute a detailed work plan for studio and startup development
- Oversee the qualitative and quantitative research efforts of the team
- Interact closely with corporate and funding partners’ most senior leadership teams
- Advise early stage startups and their leadership teams as a Board Member and provide guidance related to all elements of launch and scale, including recruiting, strategy, fundraising, etc.
- Actively manage the individual professional development of junior employees
What You'll Need:
- Experience as a founder
- Strong network
- Strong design sensibility
- Deep passion for innovation within healthcare
- Proven thought leader with intellectual curiosity and superior ability to use reason, logic, and creativity to solve ambiguous problems
- Demonstrated ability to grow a team and also manage through change
- Skillful communicator who is comfortable, effective, and influential in meetings with senior management teams
- Self-starter who can thrive in an unstructured and collaborative team environment
- Ability to travel regularly (25-50%)
High Alpha Innovation is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.