ABOUT HERSCHEL SUPPLY
Welcome to Herschel Supply, where we make quality products for a lifetime of better journeys. Designed with timeless form and intuitive function in Vancouver, Canada, every piece is backed by our signature warranty for wherever you’re going next.
Since 2009, we’ve never stopped taking risks. We’re constantly innovating, growing our community, reducing our impact on the environment and heading on new journeys. We’ve gotten lost in new cities, made lifelong friends all over the world, road tripped with no GPS, and explored a ton of creative pursuits along the way.
Putting yourself out there isn’t easy. It means stepping outside of your comfort zone and trying something new. It might be scary at first, but it also leads to the best parts of life. Inspiring others to take that leap is what we live for. Wherever you’re headed, we’re here to help you pack your future with possibilities.
So, come along for the ride, get inspired and Put Yourself Out There.
About the role
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for supporting a diverse range of duties relating to accounting and finance activities, including analysis, account reconciliation, financial reporting and forecasting. This position reports to the Accounting Manager and works closely with other Finance team members and other departments. Herschel is going through an exciting phase of growth as we expand into new product areas and open new stores across North America, so there are opportunities for hardworking and ambitious individuals joining us, to grow alongside us.
A day in the life
Our workplace is dynamic, supportive and entrepreneurial in spirit, and we pride ourselves in being a collaborative, open-minded and imaginative team.
On a day-to-day basis, the Senior Accountant:
- Review month-end working papers to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Ensure the accuracy of inventory balances to ensure completeness and valuation in accordance with our accounting policies. Examples include preparing monthly accruals and reconciliations for landed cost, in transit inventory, performing impairment analysis, and supporting inventory count processes
- Perform analysis around Gross Margins and partner with FP&A and the business to ensure the accurate reporting
- Work closely with accounts payable to reconcile key business partners accounts; maintain relationships and ensure on time payments.
- Assist in retail reporting and accounting
- Assist in the interim and year-end audit process by liaising with external auditors
- Assist in the development of accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls
- Lead process improvement initiatives to optimize accounting and business functions
- Prepare internal and ad hoc reports as required
- Bachelor’s university degree required, preferably finance related.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA or CMA) with experience in public practice
- Strong accounting technical ability - ASPE, IFRS or US GAAP an asset.
- Ability to understand processes from beginning to end, and propose new processes to allow for accurate accounting and reconciliations.
- High degree of critical thinking and analytical skills with an attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks
- Ability to adapt to a fast paced, high growth environment
- Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel (Pivots, lookups)
- Previous work experience dealing with an ERP system (MS Dynamics GP a bonus), multiple entities and currencies
- Exceptional time management skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION AT HERSCHEL SUPPLY
We’re committed to creating a workspace that is safe, secure, inclusive and enjoyable for all. Stemming from our core values and initiating dialogue around our programs, we aim to empower everyone to share their individual voices and experiences. It’s with this openness that we are able to expand our view of who we are as individuals, and what we can do in our careers at Herschel.
At Herschel Supply, we are committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our goal is to build an inclusive culture that connects us to our customers and the communities around us while embracing and encouraging diversity in our employees’ age, colour, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion and other characteristics that make our employees unique.