Herophilus is reinventing drug discovery for complex brain disorders by combining human brain models, scaled biology and machine learning to decode brain disease, from genetics to neural computation. We harness the resulting deep biological insights to systematically discover novel drugs for complex neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative diseases with a higher probability of technical success.
We’re building a world-class high-throughput bioscience data processing platform that includes image processing, video analysis, multi-modal data integration, feature extraction, Bayesian modeling, sequence modeling, and deep learning for classification and regression. Our current tech is a custom Python pipeline built on top of existing image and video processing and machine learning tools.
This role is as a core member of our machine learning team. You’ll participate in team-wide projects and lead the design and delivery of independent initiatives.
In this position you will:
- Design and implement data preprocessing, integration, and analysis solutions
- Mentor and cross-train with other ML scientists through academic-style discussions
- Collaborate with our Biology team to understand and interpret data
- Partner with our Platform Software Engineering team to build and deploy production analysis tools
- Work full-time hours in our San Francisco office, working closely with colleagues from many technical areas
Candidates must have:
- Demonstrated machine learning expertise
- MS or PhD, or equivalent, in a quantitative field, e.g., physics, math, computer science, theoretical neuroscience
- Python fluency; strong programming practices
- Facility with scientific computing tools: NumPy, SciPy, TensorFlow/PyTorch, or equivalents
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and act with autonomy
- Initiative, curiosity, a bias for action, and a problem-solving attitude
- A deep desire to learn
- High personal standards of reliability and a track record of driving projects to completion
The work we do needs diverse perspectives and a variety of skills and approaches. Our ideal candidate will have some of the following:
- Experience with deep learning, Bayesian modeling, computer vision, supervised and unsupervised learning techniques
- Track record of working on challenging biological problems and manipulating biological data sets (e.g., microscopy, gene expression, genomics)
- Familiarity with AWS
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
We offer competitive salary, benefits, and opportunities for professional growth in an intellectually stimulating and fast-paced environment. These include medical/dental/vision coverage, 401(k) and FSA plans, a flexible vacation policy, paid parental leave, and support for relevant training.
Herophilus is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.