You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators and doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics.
If you’re excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Helix is the leading population genomics and viral surveillance company. Helix enables health systems, public health organizations and life science companies to accelerate the integration of genomic data into patient care and public health decision making.
We are continuing to scale our world-class team to support our dedication to empowering every person to improve their life through DNA.
Helix + Transparency
At Helix, we value transparency. You will find the expected compensation, interview process, what to anticipate during onboarding, and your first 90 days listed in the job description for all Helix roles.
What is special about this role?
The Helix Clinical Informatics team plays a pivotal role in Helix’s efforts to provide a first-in-class clinico-genomics research dataset for our partners to conduct and publish cutting-edge genomic studies. Working closely with our Research and Research Platform teams, we are responsible for the exploration, integration, and analysis of clinical information obtained from EMRs, self-reported health outcomes, claims, biomarkers, and other digital phenotypes. Together with our Exome+ sequencing data, this combined dataset will enable discovery of novel genomic risks of disease, patient finding for clinical studies, aid clinical decision support, and improve care pathways. The patient is top of mind in everything we do, and your contributions here have the opportunity to improve the real world outcomes for each and every one.
As a Senior Clinical Informatics Engineer I, you will:
- Work closely with our health system partners to establish and maintain EHR data pipelines
- Utilize strong technical, clinical, analytical skills to standardize, integrate, normalize, and analyze large clinical data sets from multiple health care providers
- Develop and streamline algorithms to assess the completeness, integrity, and reliability of data and the validity and accuracy of analytical results.
- Create databases, datasets, and reports and perform statistical analyses appropriate to data.
- Work closely with our Research team to build hypotheses, measure, test, and validate clinical outcomes
- Write reports, develop presentation materials, and contribute to manuscripts to clearly communicate methodologies and findings to technical, business, and clinical audiences, both internal and external
- Work cross-functionally with our Research Platform, Research, and Data Engineering teams
- At least two years of experience using and writing reports in Epic.
- Knowledge of current standards of healthcare data exchange (e.g. OMOP, FHIR, HL7, CDA) and common clinical coding standards (ICD, CPT, LOINC, SNOMED-CT).
- Ability to work with various sources of data; familiar with database design, typical healthcare data models, and data manipulation/cleansing techniques
- Experience performing data analysis, preferably data mining, pattern recognition, statistical, and/or mathematical programming and modeling to health-related data
- Strong programming skills in Python and SQL
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Experience working in cloud environments (AWS, GCP)
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems on tight timelines
- At least 3 years of experience in a healthcare information technology setting (payer, provider, or gov’t)
- Master’s Degree or higher in Healthcare Informatics, Bioengineering, Biostatistics, Computer Science, or other related scientific discipline
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; desire to learn and grow in healthcare industry
- Adaptable in a fast-paced startup environment where priorities may change quickly and frequently
- MD and/or PhD in Medical Informatics
- Experience in Healthcare Administration, Ambulatory, or Public Health settings
- Experience analyzing longitudinal, categorical, multivariate, and time to event data, and building/validating clinical risk models based on multifactorial data
- Experience with genomic data
- Demonstrated willingness to teach others and learn new techniques.
- A high level of clinical knowledge, analytical ability, and critical decision making skills with an extensive knowledge of healthcare coding issues
Physical/Mental Demands: This role requires prolonged periods of sitting while being able to view and read text on computer screens less than a few feet away. May periodically require lifting up to 10 pounds and occasional walking or standing. May require repetitive motions that may include the wrists, hands, or fingers. May require meetings in person and/or via video conference (on or off-camera). Requires work in a typical office setting or may be eligible for remote work. Role also requires the ability to reason logically and make sound decisions; ability to understand, remember, and follow verbal and written instructions; and ability to perform in situations requiring deadlines. Ability to work as an integral part of a team. Able to travel to a Helix home office at least 2x/year for team meetings.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For more information or to make an accommodation request reach out to HR@helix.com.
Expected Interview Process:
1) Recruiter Screen 2) Manager Screen/Tech Screen 3) Onsite 4) Offer
Expected Pay For This Role:
There are 3 distinct parts to your Helix offer: 1) Base Salary 2) Annual Bonus 3) Equity
Expected Helix Base: $118,000 - $180,250
Expected Helix Discretionary Annual Bonus: 10% of your annual salary
Equity: We offer generous equity at Helix. If you receive a Helix offer your recruiter will book dedicated time with you to educate you on our equity model.
The salary range above is our reasonable estimate of the base compensation for this role across US locations. Actual starting pay will be based on non-discriminatory job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about your specific work location salary range during the hiring process.
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Comprehensive Health Insurance with Date of Hire eligibility
- Above average employer paid premium coverage
- 12 weeks Helix Paid Parental Leave option
- 401(k) with employer matching of up to 4% and 100% Vesting on the Date of Hire
- Comprehensive Well-Being Benefits
- 18 well-being programs covering financial, legal and wellness solutions
- Flexible PTO
- Remote options for many roles and a home office stipend
What To Expect During Your Onboarding Week:
We want to make sure your first week is spent learning the foundations. You will be invited to live orientation sessions and spend time with your hiring manager developing your individual roadmap to success. This experience will include sessions that cover your benefits, security & privacy training, an introduction to the OKR framework used at Helix and our communication tools and norms.
What To Expect During Your First 90 days:
First 30 days: you’ll spend time learning the Helix way, completing training and onboarding for your roles, and getting introduced to your team and relevant stakeholders. You’ll also gain a deeper understanding of our customers, our products, the impact we make in the lives of our communities, and how to thrive at Helix through participation in Helix U. Day 30 - 60: you’ll spend time contributing to projects, deeply familiarizing yourself with team and company processes, and developing a deeper understanding of Helix’s products, services and capabilities. Day 60 - 90: you’ll build your OKRs with your manager, start to take ownership of projects and initiatives on your team, and begin to demonstrate your impact on the Helix mission.
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.