You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators and doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics.
If you’re excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Our end-to-end population genomics platform enables health systems, life sciences companies, and payers to advance genomic research and accelerate the integration of genomic data into routine clinical care. We support all aspects of population genomics from recruitment to translational research and help our partners use genomics to improve health outcomes, increase patient engagement, and lower costs. Leading health systems, including Renown Health, AdventHealth, and Mayo Clinic, use our population genomics platform to power some of the world’s largest and fastest-growing population genomics initiatives.
For the COVID-19 public health crisis, Helix has built one of the nation’s largest COVID diagnostic labs and has been on the leading edge of national viral surveillance efforts tracking B.1.1.7 and other viral strains.
In this role you will be the technical expert on all things data related. You will be working with and advising Helix’s world class Research, Bioinformatics, and Engineering teams - developing scalable data infrastructure to enable novel genomics research and self-service analytics. A good fit for this role will have experience designing data pipelines and infrastructure for structured and unstructured data; will be engaged by the idea of designing for data privacy; and passionate about sharing and educating other teams in best practices and new technologies for DataOps.
As a Senior Data Engineer you’ll:
- Identify new technologies, concepts, and methodologies to address complex and evolving needs of research, engineering and other data consumers.
- Architect and implement data warehousing solutions for the same.
- Maintain data integrity and quality throughout the data lifecycle, including ensuring regulatory compliance (e.g. blinding) where appropriate.
- Author data models that are simple, functional, and support varied use cases.
- Collaboratively design and build data infrastructure and tools.
- Lead data standards execution across the organization.
- 7+ years experience in Go, Python, or a similar language
- Expertise architecting and building large data warehousing solutions on AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Command of data modeling, data stores, and query optimization
- Deep understanding of data technology implementation and architectural tradeoffs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Health data experience
- Experience building with AWS Redshift
- Experience using infrastructure as code tooling/frameworks (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Proficiency with serverless architectures
- BS+ in Computer Science; coursework in statistics, genetics, or bioinformatics
Qualities we value:
- Curiosity — we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility — we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility — flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Follow-through — we’re building a diverse team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
What Helix offers:
Aside from working with brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Competitive compensation, Comprehensive Health insurance package including employer sponsored HSA
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 401(k) with employer matching and 100% vested on first day
- Corporate fitness rate
- Comprehensive wellbeing benefits
- Catered meals at our office locations
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.