Title: Clinical Laboratory Technician - 3rd Shift (CLT) (Temporary)
Position Type: Temporary (You will be payrolled through an agency)
Helix is a rapidly growing population genomics company working at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics. Founded in 2015 with a mission to “empower every person to improve their life through their DNA”, our end-to-end population genomics platform enables health systems, life sciences companies, and payers to advance genomic research and accelerate the integration of genomic data into routine clinical care. Powered by one of the world’s largest CLIA / CAP next-generation sequencing labs and our proprietary Exome+® assay, we support all aspects of population genomics including recruitment and engagement, clinically actionable disease screening, return of results, and basic and translational research. We help our partners use genomics to improve health outcomes, increase patient engagement, lower costs, and drive cutting edge translational and clinical research. For the individual, we store and protect their DNA information so that they control their data and can use it throughout their lifetime in a variety of settings.
Leading health systems, including Renown Health, AdventHealth, and Mayo Clinic, use our population genomics platform to power some of the world’s largest and fastest-growing population genomics initiatives. We also collaborate with our health system partners to combine longitudinal EHR data with genomic data to optimize care across the health system. This proprietary clinico-genomic dataset, with recontactable individuals and actively enrolling programs, powers our life sciences segment and helps our life sciences partners bring innovative therapies to patients faster and more efficiently.
In response to the COVID-19 public health crisis, Helix is leveraging its expertise and infrastructure to develop and deploy more scalable and sensitive COVID-19 testing as well as accelerate research on the influence of genetics on COVID-19 infection and severity.
We are searching for a highly motivated and team-oriented Clinical Laboratory Technician (CLT) to support a wide variety of molecular biology, biochemical, and extraction techniques to support projects focused on viral infection. As a CLT at Helix, you will work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment to perform robust, scalable COVID-19 testing, where you will perform testing with the overall goal of providing results that will be used for the diagnosis and management of COVID-19.
- Perform specimen processing and accessioning.
- Perform Automated RNA extraction.
- Perform PCR-based genetic testing in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Perform routine housekeeping functions according to departmental standard operating Procedures.
- Preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Quality testing of reagent shipments
- Review, update and revise Standard Operating Procedures.
- Careful and accurate documentation of work.
The coronavirus is a Biosafety Level 2 disease (BSL2). Temporary employees are provided with the proper PPE including face shields, masks, lab coats, and gloves. We strictly enforce the use of PPE at all times in conjunction with frequent cleaning of all the laboratory areas and equipment. Weekly COVID testing is mandatory for everyone onsite, including temporary employees.
- BA/BS degree in Biology, Chemistry, Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, or related scientific field.
- Knowledge in molecular biology techniques and understanding of experimental methods.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, capable of supporting cross-functional activities, and solid organizational skills.
- Ability to work the 3rd shift, 12am - 8am.
- Motivated, enthusiastic, hard-working, positive individual who desires to be part of a fast-paced, dynamic production environment.
- Must be able to pass a color blindness test.