Helix is a rapidly growing population genomics company working at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics. Founded in 2015 with a mission to “empower every person to improve their life through their DNA”, our end-to-end population genomics platform enables health systems, life sciences companies, and payers to advance genomic research and accelerate the integration of genomic data into routine clinical care. Powered by one of the world’s largest CLIA / CAP next-generation sequencing labs and our proprietary Exome+® assay, we support all aspects of population genomics including recruitment and engagement, clinically actionable disease screening, return of results, and basic and translational research. We help our partners use genomics to improve health outcomes, increase patient engagement, lower costs, and drive cutting edge translational and clinical research. For the individual, we store and protect their DNA information so that they control their data and can use it throughout their lifetime in a variety of settings.
Leading health systems, including Renown Health, AdventHealth, and Mayo Clinic, use our population genomics platform to power some of the world’s largest and fastest-growing population genomics initiatives. We also collaborate with our health system partners to combine longitudinal EHR data with genomic data to optimize care across the health system. This proprietary clinico-genomic dataset, with recontactable individuals and actively enrolling programs, powers our life sciences segment and helps our life sciences partners bring innovative therapies to patients faster and more efficiently.
In response to the COVID-19 public health crisis, Helix is leveraging its expertise and infrastructure to develop and deploy more scalable and sensitive COVID-19 testing as well as accelerate research on the influence of genetics on COVID-19 infection and severity.
The controller is responsible for the efforts and results of the financial department. This position is hands-on and reports to Helix’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in regards to all financial and accounting activities. The position oversees a small finance team in day-to-day operations.
The successful applicant will be able to perform these essential duties satisfactorily. The following are representative of these duties.
What We Are Looking For
- Someone with a proven track record of leading and developing top-tier accounting teams.
- Excited to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment and own critical decision-making responsibilities to build the team and infrastructure in the future
- Someone who can be a player-coach, as needed -- adept at manipulating, analyzing and auditing large volumes of data, but also a skilled people manager.
Responsibilities Of The Role
- Own the financial close process and all associated processes and reporting to deliver accurate and timely results to the organization to facilitate critical decision making.
- Develop budgets and financial plans for the company, executive leaders, and management
- Create monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to identify results, trends, and financial forecasts
- Account for complex transactions (e.g., CVR, LLCs, equity and debt instruments, K-1s)
- Provide CFO with timely and accurate financial information, including budget vs actual reports
- Assist the CFO in presenting reports to senior executives, stakeholders and board members
- Build a team of accounting professionals with responsibilities for the general ledger, tax, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, partner payments, financial reporting, stock plan administration, external audit relationships, revenue, and cost accounting.
- Provide leadership and vision for scaling the team and our financial infrastructure to keep up with the demands of Helix’s business.
- Understand and document reporting needs, collaborate on operational issues, develop creative solutions in the absence of perfect systems, and provide business guidance and insight through financial reporting.
- As a critical leader, the Controller will build relationships and partner with all departments to provide data and insights to help managers run the company and make effective decisions.
- Evaluate opportunities for scale and growth and consider ways to drive efficiency and automation.
- Ensure consistent implementation of corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with US GAAP.
- Review all financial plans and budgets regularly to look for cost reduction opportunities
- Create processes, procedures and automate systems to prevent errors in data collection and calculations
- Develop, implement and maintain the internal systems and financial controls consistent with Helix’s policies and regulatory guidelines, ensuring compliance with all local, state and federal tax requirements and filings.
- Bachelors or masters degree in accounting, finance or related field and a CPA designation
- 5-10+ years of experience in Accounting
- A deep understanding of industry best practices including the use and implementation of software tools and have strong communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills and presentation skills that allow interactions with business partners
- Ability to be a results oriented leader who can manage, influence, and drive strategic solution development across diverse teams while independently operating in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple projects
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Deep understanding and upholding of data privacy standards
- Knowledge of NetSuite and Carta a plus
- Knowledge of Google Suite, Expensify and ADP
- Proactive, High attention to detail and Problem solving skills a must
What Helix can offer you
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- On-premise nursing room
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.