Helix is a rapidly growing population genomics company working at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics. Founded in 2015 with a mission to “empower every person to improve their life through their DNA”, our end-to-end population genomics platform enables health systems, life sciences companies, and payers to advance genomic research and accelerate the integration of genomic data into routine clinical care. Powered by one of the world’s largest CLIA / CAP next-generation sequencing labs and our proprietary Exome+® assay, we support all aspects of population genomics including recruitment and engagement, clinically actionable disease screening, return of results, and basic and translational research. We help our partners use genomics to improve health outcomes, increase patient engagement, lower costs, and drive cutting edge translational and clinical research. For the individual, we store and protect their DNA information so that they control their data and can use it throughout their lifetime in a variety of settings.
Leading health systems, including Renown Health, AdventHealth, and Mayo Clinic, use our population genomics platform to power some of the world’s largest and fastest-growing population genomics initiatives. We also collaborate with our health system partners to combine longitudinal EHR data with genomic data to optimize care across the health system. This proprietary clinico-genomic dataset, with recontactable individuals and actively enrolling programs, powers our life sciences segment and helps our life sciences partners bring innovative therapies to patients faster and more efficiently.
In response to the COVID-19 public health crisis, Helix is leveraging its expertise and infrastructure to develop and deploy more scalable and sensitive COVID-19 testing as well as accelerate research on the influence of genetics on COVID-19 infection and severity.
As Director of Business Development focused on Life Sciences partnerships, you will help expand the research partners we work with and bring the utility of genomics to millions of people. The ideal candidate will be able to own the process of closing new partners from prospecting new leads through to the structuring, negotiation, and execution of the partnership agreement. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, are comfortable delivering against metrics, have a deep passion for increasing the value of genomics, and love creating win-win deals, this is the role for you.
As a Director / Senior Director, Business Development (Life Sciences) you will:
- Identify new market opportunities and partnerships with life sciences companies nationally and lead business development discussions with partners ranging from C-level executives to project and product leaders
- Help to optimize and refine our go-to-market strategy, including areas of focus, product offerings, market positioning, and pricing strategy
- Based on market feedback, influence the development of future partnerships, targets, and expansion areas
- Learn from active deal discussions to inform Helix’s product roadmap, research strategy, and pricing / deal structures
- Responsible for generating ideas and fostering leads in addition to working cross-functionally with colleagues across the Helix team
- Work with CRM and other analytics tools for lead management, pipeline tracking, etc.
- Collaborate with the executive leadership team to develop ongoing company growth targets, contributing to Helix’s strategic vision to enable growth and scale
- Work closely with Helix’s partnerships, research, and clinical teams to ensure successful onboarding and market launch while maintaining the ability to manage escalation & negotiation of business terms in the future
- Mission-oriented, with a deep passion for improving people’s lives through DNA
- At least 8 - 10 years of experience prospecting, structuring, negotiating, and closing life sciences deals and / or partnerships
- Strong network of contacts with key decision makers in biopharma, as well as proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with C-level and other senior executives
- Demonstrated professionalism in creating and delivering high-profile presentations, with excellent communication (oral & written) and negotiation skills
- Ability to change priorities quickly and willingness to do what it takes to get the job done; thrives in high-growth environment
- Action-oriented leader who self-starts and motivates others; skilled relationship builder
- Established track record of negotiating multimillion dollar deals, including complex deals that break new ground for partners
- Entrepreneurial mindset and drive, ideally coupled with experience working for a start-up
- Willingness to contribute in a variety of ways, even if outside formal responsibilities, combined with the ability to travel up to 60% of the time
- BA or BS required; MBA, PhD, or MD optional
What Helix has to offer you
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- 401(k) with employer matching
- On-premise nursing room
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.