It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. We believe DNA will be digitally accessible to each person so that it can be used—at any time—to improve health outcomes and accelerate research.
Helix powers life-changing population health programs. Our world-class clinical laboratory platform and proprietary Exome+ assay enable health systems to integrate genomic information into routine clinical care and enhance the accessibility of personalized healthcare. Additionally, Helix stores and protects participants’ DNA information, so that as the science evolves, health systems, patients and researchers can continuously benefit from a lifetime of DNA insights.
Our big vision comes with a big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a diverse team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers.
We are looking for a bioinformatics engineer to join our team. You will work cross-functionally with our laboratory R&D, research, engineering, and quality teams to develop new analytical capabilities toward democratizing access to genomic information. The ideal candidate has an insatiable curiosity, entrepreneurial spirit, enjoys teamwork, and is excited about the potential of combining exome data with the expertise of all our partners.
What’s important to us:
- Curiosity — we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your genome
- Responsibility — we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well-respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility — flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Follow-through — we’re building a diverse team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
As a Senior Bioinformatics Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate with product managers, scientists, quality engineers, and software engineers.
- Develop novel tools, infrastructure, and methods for increasing our analytical capabilities.
- Communicate both internally and externally to understand and document requirements.
- Shape the technology, company, and industry with products that improve people's lives.
- A passion for improving people’s lives through access to better information about their DNA.
- 5+ years of experience in the industry.
- A proven track record of building software solutions for managing and processing large datasets.
- Strong software engineering skills in Python or C/C++ (or a similar language).
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proficiency with AWS or other cloud providers (e.g. Google Cloud Services or Microsoft Azure).
- Experience with DevOps related tasks/tools (eg. Docker, version control, CI/CD, and code review).
- Entrepreneurial spirit; willing to contribute in multiple areas; curious and independently motivated.
- Problem-focused and able to drive tasks to completion.
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics or a related field (genetics, computer science, etc).
- Experience with outside collaborations.
- Experience with human NGS (exome/genome preferred) sequence analysis.
- Experience analyzing and manipulating large datasets in using Dask or Spark (or similar solutions).
- Familiarity with Atlassian solutions
- Code documentation intended for general audience readability and use
- Familiarity with regulated software systems and entities
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- On-premise nursing room
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.