It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. We believe DNA will be digitally accessible to each person so that it can be used—at any time—to improve health outcomes and accelerate research.
Helix powers life-changing population health programs. Our world-class clinical laboratory platform and proprietary Exome+ assay enable health systems to integrate genomic information into routine clinical care and enhance the accessibility of personalized healthcare. Additionally, Helix stores and protects participants’ DNA information, so that as the science evolves, health systems, patients and researchers are able to continuously benefit from a lifetime of DNA insights.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a diverse team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers.
What’s important to us:
- Curiosity — we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility — we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility — flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Follow-through — we’re building a diverse team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
As Head of Security Engineering, you will:
- Drive Helix security technology and process strategy.
- Design and build security infrastructure and tools.
- Manage regulatory and compliance initiatives.
- Take a leadership role advising Helix’s partners to ensure secure partner integrations.
- Safeguard sensitive personal health information and genomic data across our cloud-based platform, rigorously protecting data privacy for our users.
- Leverage your security expertise in the field of bioinformatics and data infrastructure, keeping abreast of the latest security developments in the field.
- Collaborate with other engineers to advance security best practices.
- Be the leading voice for security at Helix.
- A passion for improving people’s lives through access to better information about their DNA
- 7+ years development experience in one of the following: Go, Python, or a similar language
- 5+ years experience developing security solutions for distributed systems on AWS, GCP, or Azure
- 5+ years experience working with network security architectures and implementations
- Deep familiarity with security protocols, audits, compliance, and regulatory approaches
- Deep understanding of threat models for large, high-scale production platforms
- Experience with regulatory frameworks such as HIPAA, ISO, SOX, GDPR
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Affinity for an engineering culture that emphasizes Agile, DevOps, and continuous delivery
- People management experience
- Track record hiring and building world-class security teams
- BS+ in Computer Science; coursework in cryptography, genetics, and bioinformatics
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- On-premise nursing room
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO