It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. We believe DNA will be digitally accessible to each person so that it can be used—at any time—to improve health outcomes and accelerate research.
Helix powers life-changing population health programs. Our world-class clinical laboratory platform and proprietary Exome+ assay enable health systems to integrate genomic information into routine clinical care and enhance the accessibility of personalized healthcare. Additionally, Helix stores and protects participants’ DNA information, so that as the science evolves, health systems, patients and researchers are able to continuously benefit from a lifetime of DNA insights.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a diverse team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers.
As an Automations Scientist at Helix your responsibilities will include:
- Working in cross functional teams to develop and optimize liquid handling protocols for molecular genetic assays and processes for use in a high throughput clinical laboratory.
- Designing, programming, and testing automated machinery and processes in order to complete exact tasks.
- Providing technical leadership in the transfer of new processes and products to clinical production.
- Use systematic problem-solving methods to troubleshoot complex issues related to assay quality, stability and robustness.
- Helping to establish best practices for assay development in compliance with clinical lab quality regulations. Document plans, processes and results accordingly.
- Perform analyses of processes, identify gaps and deficiencies. Construct and execute controlled experiments to optimize processes to achieve commercial levels of stability, robustness, and performance.
- Present clear and concise written and oral communications to colleagues and supervisors, lead and/or participate in technical meetings, and provide recommendations based on technical results.
- Provide leadership for equipment selection and work flow optimization.
- All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- Strong understanding of liquid handling programming (Hamilton preferred) and software development (LIMS integration a plus).
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment problems and perform complex system tests
- BS or equivalent experience in Engineering, Biology, Biochemistry or related field.
- 3-5 years experience in automations for molecular genetics assay development.
- Strong observation skills, ability to interpret and draw conclusions from data.
An ideal candidate will also have:
- Strong understanding of the molecular biology underpinning of clinical applications of NGS.
- Motivated, enthusiastic, hard-working, positive individual who desires to be part of a fast-paced, dynamic development environment.
- High level problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Mechanical aptitude and experience maintaining equipment
- Previous history of independently managing and delivering to project deadlines
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- On-premise nursing room
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.