It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. We believe DNA will be digitally accessible to each person so that it can be used—at any time—to improve health outcomes and accelerate research.
Helix powers life-changing population health programs. Our world-class clinical laboratory platform and proprietary Exome+ assay enable health systems to integrate genomic information into routine clinical care and enhance the accessibility of personalized healthcare. Additionally, Helix stores and protects participants’ DNA information, so that as the science evolves, health systems, patients and researchers are able to continuously benefit from a lifetime of DNA insights.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a diverse team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers.
As Legal Director of Privacy and Compliance you will:
- Oversee the development, implementation, and documentation of Helix’s privacy program, including policies and procedures in accordance with applicable federal and state law, as well as developing and implementing a corresponding training program for workforce members;
- Participate as a core member of the cross-functional Policy Team;
- Provide critical leadership on privacy issues; develop vision and goals for privacy compliance and risk remediation;
- Provide advice and direction to senior management, staff, and employees to maximize compliance with requirements;
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable federal and state privacy laws, and awareness of applicable international privacy laws and trends, concerning the privacy of genetic information, health information, personally identifiable information, and clinical research data, and updating practices and documentation as needed;
- Serve as the designated Privacy Officer for Helix;
- Represent Helix on industry coalitions and working groups regarding genetic data privacy;
- Receive privacy-related complaints and administer a process for documenting, investigating, and responding to all complaints or reports concerning the Helix’s privacy policies and procedures and uses/disclosures of sensitive data and receiving, reviewing, and responding to inquiries about the Helix’s privacy policies and procedures;
- Track and maintain all required partner, vendor, and research contracts and other agreements concerning the disclosure, use, retention, and protection of Helix data;
- Work with cross-functional teams to provide privacy specialist legal advice and subject matter resources required to support Helix’s team, evolving business model and strategic direction;
- Ensure that all documentation required by applicable federal and state privacy laws and regulations is maintained in accordance with such laws.
- Coordinate closely with Helix’s Security and Compliance team to manage breach assessments, investigations, determinations, and responses, including notifications to individuals and/or regulatory authorities;
- Oversee Helix’s outside counsel experts and manage the budget for privacy and compliance matters.
- JD or L.L.M from an accredited law school in the United States
- Bar admission in a US state
- 8-10 years experience in privacy law with at least 4 years as in-house counsel or privacy role for a biotech, medical device, genomics or consumer-facing online platform company.
- Substantial working knowledge of applicable US federal and state privacy laws, including, without limitation: HIPAA, COPPA, GINA, HITECH, GDPR, and current state of CCPA.
- Familiarity with FDA diagnostic medical device regulation, Laboratory Developed Test enforcement discretion and CLIA/CAP a plus.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated skill in developing strategic vision, performing informed risk-assessment and operational implementation of effective policies and procedures across multi-functional teams and business units.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively and advise Helix Executive Team on key privacy matters impacting Helix business.
- Experience interacting with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights, state regulators and/or other legal entities in any compliance reviews or investigations is desirable.
What Helix has to offer you
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- 401(k) with employer matching
- On-premise nursing room
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.