We are building something never done before. Helion is a fusion power company based in Everett, WA, with the mission to build the world’s first fusion power plant, enabling a future with unlimited clean electricity. We are a team of engineers, scientists, and makers that believe fusion energy can solve climate change on a global scale and ensure energy independence while making electricity more affordable than ever before. Now is a great time to join Helion! Bring your skills, experiences, and determination to make a difference in the world. Together, we can make a future with unlimited clean electricity from fusion a reality
Helion is on the verge of changing the world with a new clean energy source. We are looking for support to make vital contributions to this design. In this role, you will be partnering with trusted experts in the field to help design and run Helion's suite of neutron, gamma, and charged particle detectors which will be used on Polaris, our next prototype, to optimize and monitor running conditions.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Design, build and analyze data from neutron detectors in a high noise, pulsed environment.
- Analysis of noise and transient effects on various detectors and detector components.
- Calibrate and characterize neutron detector efficiency and gamma background.
- Collaborate with various engineering teams to design and optimize the location of new detectors.
- Document systems and organize large amounts of data.
- Ph.D. in nuclear physics or a related field, or equivalent experience working in a pulsed neutron experiment
- Demonstrated expertise in designing shielding and mitigation techniques for operating detectors in a noisy, high fluence environment
- Understanding of a variety of neutron detection techniques and components, including activation detectors, scintillator detectors, PMTs and SiPMs
- Experience with detector readout electronics and pulse processing optimization
- Ability to integrate various data acquisition systems
Per Washington Equal Pay and Opportunity Act the range for this position is $99k - $145k. Actual salary is based on education, experience, and other qualifying skill sets.
10 company holidays + winter break (Dec. 24 – Jan. 1)
31 days of PTO (10 sick and 21 vacation days)
3% employer 401K contribution matching
Equity plan offered to all employees
Employee share plan
Medical, Dental, Vision
Short- and long-term Disability
Monthly sponsored events and subsidized snack program
NOTE: Underrepresented people are less likely to apply unless they meet 100% of the job's requirements. We believe in hiring people, not checklists, and encourage you to apply even if you do not check all of the boxes. If this job isn't the one, we have many other openings that may be a fit.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. If we reach out to you to begin an interview process, we will also ask if you require any reasonable accommodation at that time.